View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mdifrancia
New Member!

23-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Help...Dog eating cat litter...

OK...Well Doris is at it again...Now that her back is better, she's adopted a new behavior that not only concerns me, but disgusts me...She's been eating cat poop out of the litter box...We've had my mother's cat since the beginning of January, and I can't be sure how long it's been going on, but if I know Doris, she's been sneaking it all along...We use scoopable clay litter and I'm concerned it will block her intestines...Any thoughts???
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2005, 04:52 PM
we had the same problem when we had our cat. The only thing we found worked was to put the cat litter behind a baby gate so Star could not get at it.
Meg
Supervisor

23-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Hello mdifrancia I am co pleased to hear Doris is better was worried about her in the snow with no vet
Don't know if this will help , obviously Caroles dog gate would be good..or as cats can jump...put the litter tray in some kind of crate or big box, on a high surface or maybe you have a utility room or little room where you can fit a cap flap to the door.. and keep the litter tray in there?
WiggilyStump
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2005, 09:53 PM
My dog used to do that, she also tried to eat horse poo when we went for walks but she has grown out of it now, she still does it on the very odd occasion and I dont know why? strange eh!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I think most do, my two will try to raid the cat litter box if i do not keep an eye on them, trouble my cats have a hooded box with a swing door, the daft mutts get their heads stuck..So I always catch them at it...
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Kira does it too :smt078
I havent caught her doing it for a while ,the best thing to do is put the litter tray out of the way as best as possible and keep an eye on Doris when she is anywhere near it
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 08:43 AM
When I got Luna, Oliver's litterbox were at the bathroom on top of my washing maschine.. And a babygate in the doorway.

I've moved since, so its in a more "available" place, but Luna doesnt go in it anymore... She is of course not anywhere near it when alone home
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 09:53 AM
something i learned when i changed to BARF: a dog KNOWS what it needs. Dogs eat rabbit poo, horse dung, deer dung if it comes across it, as it contains fibre and bacteria which we dont provide them in their commerical pet food deit nowadays. If you try one thing, make it cottage cheese. the natural bacteria aid digestion, which is what your dog is looking for.... Since i have changed to the raw feeding my dogs walk straight over the horse poo dont even look at it, compared to before when i had to chase them away from it.... Its because they know what they need, and will try to find it naturally if i is missing from their diet.... it made alot of sense to me.
WiggilyStump
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Well if thats true why didnt someone tell us, are poor little doggys have been getting wrong for trying to eat a healthy diet!
Carole
Supervisor

24-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I think Star just liked the taste of it :smt078 She would also steal the cat's food at every opportunity.

She does not eat any kind of animal poo outside it was only from the cat litter tray.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >