View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I spoke recently to a lady who rehomes Rescues. She is in the process of re-writing her Adoption Contract so if the dog is subjected to electric shock collars she can take him back. I think more Rescues need to look at this.
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I DON'T!! I don't want perfection!! I hate perfection!! I love a dog who is a challenge. Ben's father, Hal, had a less than perfect recall, he would take his time to meander back, I loved that, but Ben is in a different ball game.

There is no time, time is up, if we did not do something about Ben right NOW he would end up shot.

I will not condemn a dog to months or years on a lead whilst we TRY to teach him to come back when he is called.

That to my mind is the height of cruelty.

Why would he end up shot?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I spent about four years building up Honeys confidence with other dogs, must admit I don't like 'quick fixes', and really don't think quick fixes make for lasting results, I do feel for Ben, with Honey we went through loads of things, with lots of ups and downs, but she is a lot better now, and has gone on walks with over twenty other dogs, I do think though Gnasher that it probally wasn't fair to let Ben off so soon, you can get leads up to fifty foot that I know off, and not for a lot of money, which would give Ben space, and you peace of mind, and no need for a e-collar, just patient and positive training, to me six months is nothing really either, its taken three years for him to get to what he is, and I would think that you could expect a simalar time for him to get to where you want him too, that way if he improves before that its just a bonus, but roads to recovery are often long, and can be stressful, but when training should not be painful, and by causing him to yelp pain was used.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhoundlover View Post
Why would he end up shot?
It`s the Alligator syndrome.
Whereas the rest of us keep dogs onlead around alligators or livestock, some dog owners can`t be a**ed.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s the Alligator syndrome. Whereas the rest of us keep dogs onlead around alligators or livestock, some dog owners can`t be a**ed.
Ah, that old chestnut Those pesky alligators have a lot to answer for!

I think that description will go down in Dogsey history
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Am I shocked by your revelations Gnashers; no not in the least. I have seen the kind of things you post about both here and elsewhere over many years including your opinion of this site, sorry but the word 'histrionics' springs to mind yet again when reading your posts.
Am I sad about your revelation, yes very for the poor dog concerned .

I would be interested to know if the person advising you on the use of e collars has any connection with a so called e collar trainer who frequents this site whom I believe is here with the intention of promoting himself and his 'services'.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
If my husband suggested zapping our dog - HE would have been wearing the collar wrapped around his blokey parts and set to high!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:02 PM
It`s the Alligator syndrome.
Whereas the rest of us keep dogs onlead around alligators or livestock, some dog owners can`t be a**ed.
And some of us are in such a situation that it's either impossible or extremely unfair to the dog to keep them on leash at all times around livestock. I run a risk simply having a window open as Rupe has attempted to go out that way several times when sheep are in the closest field. Thankfully he's gotten past the stage where the mere smell of sheep sends him into a frenzy but the first few months here were a nightmare (sheep so close and one neighbour kept chickens, another has rabbits, Rupe thought it was an all you can eat buffet!) and I still worry about opening a window now. If I can smell the sheep he sure as hell can. I can't keep him leashed or crated all summer though.

That said, if he's outside the house he's on a leash or long line except for the one secure field we have. I have absolutely no issue doing that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Gnasher there are many many people who 'go through what you went through'. Luckily for the dogs there are also many many people who find great ways to get their dogs to trust them. You don't get a medal for 'rescuing' an abused dog and deciding you can't cope so proceeding to abuse him in a different way.

A dog that grumbles has issues and those need to be sorted out so that he learns that he is not challenged by any of the humans around him.

You are a great example of why CM's methods DON'T work. Challenging dogs is stupid and challenging insecure screwed up dogs is even more stupid. That someone who regularly spouts off about all they know about dogs it goes a stage further than stupid IMO.

KW's post was excellent, what a shame you didn't ask for help before you allowed the poor dog to be treated like that.

TBH if it had been me the OH would have worn the dam thing not the abused dog.

rune
If my OH had wanted to use an ecollar on my dog, he'd never lay another hand on that dog, ever!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
And some of us are in such a situation that it's either impossible or extremely unfair to the dog to keep them on leash at all times around livestock. I run a risk simply having a window open as Rupe has attempted to go out that way several times when sheep are in the closest field. Thankfully he's gotten past the stage where the mere smell of sheep sends him into a frenzy but the first few months here were a nightmare (sheep so close and one neighbour kept chickens, another has rabbits, Rupe thought it was an all you can eat buffet!) and I still worry about opening a window now. If I can smell the sheep he sure as hell can. I can't keep him leashed or crated all summer though.
Why not get a handyman/carpenter to build a screen for your window(s) so you can open them without the risk of Rupe getting out through them? I implemented a similar thing for my bedroom window when I had indoor rabbits - I didn't want one leaping out of the open window and falling to its death but obviously needed a window open for fresh air. My stepdad made a wooden frame around a piece of mesh from an old chinchilla cage (so nice, sturdy mesh) and I just slid it into the open window (old sash window, so the window shut onto the wooden frame and held it in place, but you could have other kind of fastenings for a regular window). Voila, fresh air, but secure window so no need to crate Rupe. There are non-harmful work-arounds for pretty much most things that allow the dog the freedom it needs, or at least a happy medium.
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 83 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 > Last »