Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Dominance or something else? Humping!

I feel slightly embarrassed that I can't seem to figure out what to do here... but never come across this before with the boys!

Connor and Bentley have been very close best buddies in fact and love playing together, would cuddle up together and still are... but...

Connor has suddenly decided that he wants to constantly hump Bentley!

I have been very proud of the fact that despite having entire males none have been serious humpers - ok they may have tried it on each other but a sharp pack it in is enough to stop the behaviour.

But not this time... he is rampant and obsessed - its like Bentley is a female due in season - poor Connor is getting in a state over it - not really eating and pining for Bentley when separated - which I'm having to do as otherwise poor Bentley is not left alone.

I know Bentley is probably releasing hormones which may be confusing Connor but the other two boys aren't at all bothered by him at all!!!

I have tried distracting Connor when he does it ... calling him to me - getting him to sit. I did the sharp pack it in - again both work but only for a second.

Will it pass??? Anything else I can do ?

Is it hormones - Connor turned 4 yesterday and Bentley is 5 months?

Reading up on google it all seems to be dominance and I need to reassure Connor of his status??? But not sure this sounds right - happy to do it if it is.

Some of the methods to stop completely annoyed me - spraying water, grabbing by scuff - neutering... ah yes cos a neutered dog won't get the urges will he

So any advice greatly appreciated - so don't need Connor to be in this state - great timing for Crufts lol!!! Shall be taking a sexmad skinny setter at this rate!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
There could well be an on-heat bitch in the area. Dogs get very agitated and will try to hump anything.
Or it could be a scent arousing him - maybe a bath is called for?
Alternatively it could be sheer excitement - humping is fun! In which case distraction / alternative fun (toy) and then a calm down time?

I wouldn`t spray or shout, personally - it just increases the agitation.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There could well be an on-heat bitch in the area. Dogs get very agitated and will try to hump anything.
Or it could be a scent arousing him - maybe a bath is called for?
Alternatively it could be sheer excitement - humping is fun! In which case distraction / alternative fun (toy) and then a calm down time?

I wouldn`t spray or shout, personally - it just increases the agitation.
Thanks for that - I did bath Bentley yesterday in case of scent on him!!!

I did wonder if in season bitch in area getting him going.

Guess continue with the distraction - do feel for both of them. Bentley can't just play with his pal anymore and Connor is so frantic about it

Don't worry no spraying will take place!!! and don't intend on shouting any more than the sharp pack it in I did! As you say absolutely no point!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Do they play together a lot? Like C&D said, my thought was could be excitment. Some times when our entire boys play and get excited one of them tries humping, maybe the first couple of times he did it with out you seeing and now he wants to carry on.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Do they play together a lot? Like C&D said, my thought was could be excitment. Some times when our entire boys play and get excited one of them tries humping, maybe the first couple of times he did it with out you seeing and now he wants to carry on.

Yes best friends always playing together... just hope it will stop or I can calm down the situation so they can enjoy being friends again...

You might be right it happened and I didn't see it and Connor liked it !
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
At least he's a boy, Codee humps Deacon... she seems to enjoy it too!!
I hope you can get it sorted asap!! Good luck at Crufts x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
At least he's a boy, Codee humps Deacon... she seems to enjoy it too!!
I hope you can get it sorted asap!! Good luck at Crufts x
LOL yep bless !

Well at least he'll be away from Bentley at Crufts and hopefully not pining for him! silly dog!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Connor is 4 & Bentley is 5 months? I wonder if it is anything to do with Bentley reaching puberty? Change in scent, increasing testosterone levels, subtle behaviour changes, combination of all of this? And then on top of this, they are good friends, enjoy a bit of rough-housing, all of which results in over-excitement, leading to humping?

I suspect that this won't be easy to stop, & the more they practise these behaviours, the more ingrained & easily set off the humping will become.

All I can suggest is to prevent/disallow the humping completely (preferably by kind methods and by separating them when you can't be there to supervise, by distraction at other times & by training incompatible behaviours as much as possible. Possibly try concentrating on training calm relaxed behaviours in Connor with Bentley at a distance Connor doesn't react to, then closer, then in different contexts etc. It may help change Connor's perception of Bentley from a young, exciting dog to be humped to a boring, can be ignored, presence in the background?

Good luck at Crufts BTW!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I have to say Rach that Bradley and his dad Fabian were great buddies, and they were always humping each other...I just thought it was high spirits and excitement from their game, they would stop and lay down together as quickly as it had started and they would take it in terms as to who was doing the humping

From the sounds of it though, Connor doesn't want to give up as quickly as Bentley does, maybe when Bentley is a bit older/bigger and not such a push over it will stop...poor you though having to deal with it, it's as bad as having an inseason bitch with an entire dog from the sounds of it.

Excellent advice already given
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Connor is 4 & Bentley is 5 months? I wonder if it is anything to do with Bentley reaching puberty? Change in scent, increasing testosterone levels, subtle behaviour changes, combination of all of this? And then on top of this, they are good friends, enjoy a bit of rough-housing, all of which results in over-excitement, leading to humping?

I suspect that this won't be easy to stop, & the more they practise these behaviours, the more ingrained & easily set off the humping will become.

All I can suggest is to prevent/disallow the humping completely (preferably by kind methods and by separating them when you can't be there to supervise, by distraction at other times & by training incompatible behaviours as much as possible. Possibly try concentrating on training calm relaxed behaviours in Connor with Bentley at a distance Connor doesn't react to, then closer, then in different contexts etc. It may help change Connor's perception of Bentley from a young, exciting dog to be humped to a boring, can be ignored, presence in the background?

Good luck at Crufts BTW!
Oh I agree I'm sure its the good old hormones as well as excitement egging it all on...

I'm liking the advice to try and change Connors perception but its such a shame they played so lovely together

I think I need to work with Connor's distractions - spend time with him training - did read that he may be feeling a little insecure / unsure of his status? and to help build that up.

Thanks - just going to have a fab fun day regardless of how we do - I will be taking the best dog home! even if he's a bit sexcrazed at the moment!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >