Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:04 PM

Tetanus?

How important is it to have a tetanus jab if you get bitten and haven't had one lately?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Well I *think* they`re good for 10yrs not sure tho.

I got bitten maybe 2yrs ago was giving the dogs their big bones & didn`t have any gloves so used a plastic bag over my hand instead, the dog took hold part of my finger as well as his bone.....all my own fault of course

He didn`t drag it or anyhing & let go when I told him to but I had 2 puncture wounds & it was severly bruised Took mths for the pain to go but I decided not to have a tetanus.

Sorry haven`t answered your q have I, you`ll have to decide that for yourdelf I think
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Archer the vacs lasts ten years, and yes better to get it re done just to be on the safe side particularly as you frequently handle dogs.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:20 PM
It's no big deal for 10 years protection..............and if you're a gardener you should keep your protection up too.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd say have a tetanus jab and if you can't remember when have another, I garden too and am more at risk from rose thorns than a dog bite. No big issue
Jane L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, if you're not sure, better to have one done. I garden too, and I worry a lot more about about getting tetanus from a garden wound tha a dog bite.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:46 PM
I last had a tetanus jab a few yrs ago when I had a really nasty head injury and had a big cut etc...I guess I'm still good for another couple few yrs!

If I was bitten quite bad and couldn't remember when I last had a jab I would have one now
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2006, 03:51 PM
My old Rottie accidently bit my finger while playing once and it swelled to twice its normal size! I went to my surgery few days later and she gave me a tetanus shot.

She also said i'd not had one for 19 years...
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Now theres a surprise, looks I`m out numbered on this I

Anyway just did a quick google & my understanding of link below is if you`ve had the initial 3 vax as a child & 2 boosters later in life you`re covered for life

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I have no idea if I had the vaccs and boosters as a child...lol...Do they put that in your file??...

It's probably why most people have a shot after an accident because they either didn't have the vaccs as a child or don't remember??...I had my last jab at A&E, they asked if I had any before and when, I said I can't remember!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »