Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Small doggie please!! any rescue links?

Hiya everyone...

The other day I saw an absolutely perfect tny pup and fell in love, sadly I wasnt suitable to adopt as I work a couple of days... and since then I know its time to get a friend for Harvey.

I have looked at a couple of rescue sites but does anyone have any more links? I live in Yorkshire (Hull) but I was prepared to travel up to a couple hours as long as the rescue is able to homecheck me.

Now, down to the nitty gritty lol.
I am 25, am married, have a 5 yr old (almost anyway) and a 1 yr old, both gorwn up with animals and respect them very well!
We have a cavalier king charles spaniel who is very friendly.
we have 2 cats
we have a decent size well fenced garden
fields outside for walking.
very good vet oractice round the corner
a few good dog walking parks.

I want a small friendly dog who will enjoy an outing each week in the car with Harvey to a park,
daily walks round the field, lots of garden play and playtime with Harvey and the children.
walks to school with me. and lots of cuddles.

I love a lot of small breeds as long as they dont bark too much haha. cavaliers, shnauzers, little cross breeds etc.
BUT i do not like german sheps (too big anyway) and my daughter is scared of staffis!

Age not an issue as long as they are very very friendly and like a busy household!

so any links anyone?? LOL, finding a dog to suit us is like finding a needle in a haystack!

Love Kellie
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
The nearest Cavvy rescue is;
HUMBERSIDE CKCS CLUB RESCUE
Mrs L Flynn
Benington
Nr Boston, Lincs
01205 760374

The nearest (only) Min Schnauzer rescue is;
Min Schnauzer Rehome and Rescue Trust
Mrs Christine Hopkin
Culgaith
Cumbria
01768 879039
01768 879045

Hope these help.

Or you could try Carr House Rescue Kennels on Spring Cottage or Jarratt Hill Kennels, South Cave. Both of these kennels take in stray dogs and may have a dog which may suit you.

Good Luck
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Jerry Greens isn't too far from you just over the Humber Bridge at Brigg http://www.jerrygreen.org.uk/our_sanctuaries.htm

Hope this helps!
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank you! Have already tried the cavalier rescue but no joy there as they like to rehome to those at home all the time.

Will have a look at the others!! much appreciated!
I know someone through work trying to rehome her beagle due to her not having time now she has another baby, but unless its all done properly and I know absolutely everything, as I dont want a repeat of the last private homing I did!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I think most of the rescues don't like rehoming to people with children under 5 - I was thinking of a rescue a couple of years ago but found this out
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I know, I have not come across that as yet as my main obstacle is because I work 3 days a week (in a dog kennel)
. I do think it is becoming really difficult, as once I see a dog I like, which isnt very often, I then enquire to be told I work too much.
And Im sure if it isnt that, it will be the children.
I often think it would be easier to buy a puppy, but I am sure there must be some rescues out there who can see the good of my family!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 06:51 PM
hi

have you tried the dogstrust or the oldies club as I believe both might have something suitable and might be more flexible re: ur working hours.

dogs trust rehomed to my friends who both had children under 5 at the time a few years ago.

Also the oldies club - perhaps an oldie might be better - they are all over 7 though just so you know.

good luck
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Hiya, thanks for those.
I have looked on both sites daily, all bookedmarked in my favourites LOL.
nothing really small in the oldies though and if they are they are only wanting 'quiet' homes!

I check all sites I have booked barked daily now....
many tears, oldies, al the local yorkshire rspca sites, a wakefielf rescue, whitby rescue, dogs trust rescue, and a few more.

so the more links to check out the better!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by kelz View Post
I know, I have not come across that as yet as my main obstacle is because I work 3 days a week (in a dog kennel)
. I do think it is becoming really difficult, as once I see a dog I like, which isnt very often, I then enquire to be told I work too much.
And Im sure if it isnt that, it will be the children.
I often think it would be easier to buy a puppy, but I am sure there must be some rescues out there who can see the good of my family!!
I also had this problem,(2 kids and 2 cats) It does make you think if there were less rigid criteria there wouldnt be so many dogs languishing in kennels, missing out on lovely, action packed, knowledgable forever homes.
I would have thought it would be better if every adoptee is treated as an individual as every person/family is different as is every dog.

I was looking at an adoption site regularly and a couple of dogs had been returned so it still happens even with homechecking etc
*rant over*
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Try dogpages...do a google search. They list all rescues and available dogs.P.m me if you can`t find the link.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >