Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lazhar
New Member!
Male 

27-02-2015, 11:04 AM

List of America’s 10 Most Popular Dog Breeds In 2014

The Labrador Retriever has done it again. The intelligent, family friendly breed held onto the number one spot on the most popular list for the 24th consecutive year, continuing the longest reign as the nation’s top dog in American Kennel Club history.

Meanwhile, the popular French Bulldog continues its quest for the number one spot, breaking into the top 10 for the first time in nearly 100 years. This year the Frenche finds himself at number nine, knocking the Dachshund out of the top 10 for the first time since 1985.

The full list of 2014's top ten breeds are as follows:

1. Labrador Retriever
2. German Shepherd Dog
3. Golden Retriever
4. Bulldog
5. Beagle
6. Yorkshire Terrier
7. Poodle
8. Boxer
9. French Bulldog
10. Rottweiler

The same usual suspects are always on top!
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Go Labradors! They deserve to be #1. They are the best. I am very prejudiced.

As for the French Bulldog . . . scary. They are cute. But rapid increase in numbers of a none-too-healthy breed that is fetching very high prices does not cheer me.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Yes, Labradors do deserve to be first. My two dogs are Labrador mix, and the other is Gsd mix. #1 and #2 crosses, stands to reason. I'm American, btw. Duh.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Something I would like them to clarify. Bulldog is "English"? As a bully advocate I call a bunch of breeds "bull dog" not just the happy ol' English variety. Plus popular as English Bulls are some people don't realize they can also require a vet on speed dial. Bad breeding can lead to a bunch of skin, orthopedic and breathing issues. That's why we adopted an American and he still has bad knees.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Surprised that the Belgian Shepherd isn't on there. My daughter has them over there and breeds them. Also the Border Collie not being on there when I know they do agility over there. Oh well. Can't have them all.
Lazhar
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2015, 10:32 AM
the german shepherd is second, and bulldog is english bulldog. french bulldogs are 9th, best riser
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I doubt that 5% of dogs in the USA do agility, obedience, or any other formal training. Because a breed has vocal enthusiasts doesn't make it common (re. BC's and Belgians).

Labs have been #1 in the USA for a long while, and have also tended to be #1 in the UK, Australia (with serious competition from the SBT), and Canada.

I worry a bit about the breeds that come and go. Yorkies made it to #2 in the US in 2007 . . . Frenchies seem to be heading for the rapid ascent followed by decline. Fads encourage mercenary rather than ethical breeders.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 11:19 AM
USA is a large country so not sure of percentages but speaking to my daughter who lives over there she says that lots of owners do obedience, agility, sheep herding and of course breed showing with lots of different breeds. Probably the same as over here, some do and some don't.