Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Why does she whine every evening?

Hi,
I have a 6yr female Tibetan terrier and every evening she will either sit and stare at us whilst whining or she will wander around whining.

She gets two daily walks, two daily meals and overall seems healthy it is more of attention

Any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Hello Iona do you play games with her, perhaps she is bored and needs more mental stimulation.

What time is she fed, maybe one meal in a kong will give her something to occupy her attention .

My dog will behave like that in anticipation of a walk or a meal. If is isn't the right time I use play as a distraction.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Agree with Meg
Maybe with the brighter evenings coming in she could fit in an extra quick stroll before bedtime or leave one of her walks till a bit later
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read your post.

I have a 20 month old Shar-Pei who whines when she wants my attention, or wants to be let out. I don't know how long your dog has been doing this but with Georgina she's being whining since she was a puppy and it's her normal way of communicating with me. My first Shar-Pei used to "yip"!

Now that the lighter evenings are here she seems to think she should be outside until it gets dark, which is not always what I want. What I do and have found works is to lock the front door and take off her collar to let her know she isn't going out again until morning. I then ignore her and go back to reading my book or watching the TV. After a few minutes she'll settle down and go to sleep.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2015, 07:15 AM
What do you do when she whines?

How often is she fed?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2015, 07:36 AM
More interaction from you not just walks. A tibetan terrier needs to have its brain occupied with things to do not just walking. Give her something to occupy herself or do some training with her after you have walked her. Then she should settle better in the evening and during the day. There is one question: what food are you feeding and how much protein is in it?
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi,
Thanks for replies sorry for late reply.

Tilly gets lots of interaction we do clicker training, and also have a range of kongs, nina ottaksan (sorry can't spell her name), also play games indoors and outdoors....but she will still whine :/
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Is it possible that there is something on in or around your house in the evening,that isn't during the day.A different noise of some sort.A dogs hearing is way more sensitive than ours...just a thought xx