View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
originally posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs/ I mean by a gay tail the way SOME breeds hold their tails when they are HAPPY, like collies, plenty of them have nothing wrong with their tails, the angle they hold them at is more indicative with their moods than anything, but the judges want to see the tails down so the dogs have to be trained to do that
Sorry, what do you mean by this.. training a dog to keep his tail down

I have been to many shows, and cant ever remember seeing any dog of any breed ,being "trained" to keep his tail down!!

Nor a judge wanting to see this!!
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I was at crufts last year nd saly the way I saw the poor dogs all on their own looking so sad really had me in tears , I am talking about the boxers here as very very few had anyone around them or near them they all looked sad and in fact doped it is not an expperience I would ever repeat I just found it far too distressing , I love to see dogs playing and running free and happy and all he ones I saw were far from that
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lorraine(bws) View Post
I was at crufts last year nd saly the way I saw the poor dogs all on their own looking so sad really had me in tears , I am talking about the boxers here as very very few had anyone around them or near them they all looked sad and in fact doped it is not an expperience I would ever repeat I just found it far too distressing , I love to see dogs playing and running free and happy and all he ones I saw were far from that
Sorry, but what a rediculous statement.

Is it just maybe that the dogs where secure in the benches and resting away from the hustle and bustle of the venue.

You must have been looking at different dogs than I was , as most I saw , in all breeds where happy and contented in their benches..some snuggled up with their owners, some napping and some just CHILLING.

It is also important to remember, that dogs who are exhibiting at Crufts, and other shows, are not allowed to be away from their bnches for longer than toileting or in the ring... and this is for one reason only for their saftey.

A venue like Crufts where it is heaving with people, I would rather have my dogs benched and secure , than being trampled on in the mad rush and sometimes aggressive (pushing) public .
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
sorry if you found it ridiculous but its just the way I felt very very few had any owners around them and did not look happy in the least I just like to see dogs being dogs happy and playful not in a very odd inviroment like that ,it just seemed odd to me
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, what do you mean by this.. training a dog to keep his tail down

I have been to many shows, and cant ever remember seeing any dog of any breed ,being "trained" to keep his tail down!!

Nor a judge wanting to see this!!
I know lots of dogs who are trained/ encouraged to have tails up or down depending on the dog in the ring It is very normal - just trying to encourage your dog to look it's best
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
It may be that those that you saw, their owners were in the ring with another dog they took, I know if I take more than one dog I have no choice but to leave one or more on the bench while I am in the ring with a dog. the fact they are safe on a bench is not an indication of them being sad or DOPED? if a dog went to its bed at home or was sat being quiet, would you accuse the owners of having a sad and DOPED dog?

Mo
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree with Jackbox what a ridiculous comment, at Crufts you have little or know choice but to leave your dogs on the benches in my case we all take it in turns to look after each others dogs in the nearby benches whilst we go get food or do shopping.
I always take a crate and leave mine crated on the bench, they usually chill out and sleep until its there turn to show.
With regards to tails theres a great deal of difference between a "wagging" tail and a "gay" tail.
Most of us love to see a dog wagging in the ring it shows enthusiasm.Dice has stuck is tail up like a beagle since he was used at stud, usually if there a bitch in season nearby.
This gives the impression of a wrong tail set and what I regards as a gay tail.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Well what I am seeing in Scotland and have been hearing about in America is that after a few generations of trying to breed sport dogs the kennels find they have to go back to working lines because the drive has been lost
Again I ask, can you show me proof of this please. can that be said of the "rescue" dogs you claim to be "working" in agility?

I do totaly agree with you that some sport bred collies are a bit OTT and I cannot really talk about England, but I do know lots of people in top level agility in Scotland and although they might have a sport dog from a particular kennel then also have a couple of rescues who are doing as well as the sport bred dogs
So you base your opinion on a particular kennel (one) and the fact they have a couple of rescues?

I do think its a total shame that the large collies get most of the tv coverage on agility, it does not show the sport at its best, and some collies are too hyper looking, but thats because they are reactive hyper collies who NEED a job - I can only imagine what they would be like if they didnt have a home with someone willing to work them in something like agility
They arent doing a job though are they? They are behaving in an abnormal manner. What do you think would happen to them in their "natural" environment if they were screaming hysterically and so hyped up? Many Collies are so far removed from their correct temperament its untrue.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I know lots of dogs who are trained/ encouraged to have tails up or down depending on the dog in the ring It is very normal - just trying to encourage your dog to look it's best

The tail wil be encouraged to sit in the correct position for the breed.

You would not train a Boxer to Carry his tail down.. nor a spaniel to carry its tail high.

The tail carriage in the ring should be a example of what it would be out out of the ring..

In a show stance ..the tail will be held or allowed to be free depending on the breed.

A Boxer for instance when alert and on the move, out of the ring, will hold his tail erect.. and you will encourage you dog to show the same in the ring, a Spaniel will hold his tail low/wagging out of the ring, and the same will be expected while he is on the move in the ring.

You dont "train" a dog to do something unnatural with his tail in the ring , he would not do out of it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lorraine(bws) View Post
sorry if you found it ridiculous but its just the way I felt very very few had any owners around them and did not look happy in the least I just like to see dogs being dogs happy and playful not in a very odd inviroment like that ,it just seemed odd to me
Well to say dogs have been doped to keep the quiet at shows is rather ridiculous...sorry, but think of the practicalities... if you doped a dog how would you show it.

You may say, well after they have shown...but then how do you get a dog that size and weight of a Boxer home, when it is doped up.

Totally impractical.

Showing takes a lot out of a dog, as it does humans.. they are up early have long journeys, lots going on round them, and when they are rested in their benches.... they will do jus that. rest... look at your own dog when they are fast asleep or just resting, do they look like they are full of the joys of spring.

You are entitled to your opinions on showing.. we all are, but to come out with statements like the dogs have been doped or unhappy is silly .
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »