Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
If you look it does have a tuck up, but hair is covering it - looks to have thicker coat to me...Its abit odd that from a picture people can tell if a dog is fit or not & I can see no slope in the back.. I am looking at different pictures?
I have looked again and the American husky definitely does not have the same depth of chest and brisket - It looks to be a different shape from the American dog. The English dog looks far more athleltic and from that alone I say it looks a fitter dog, and in better condition. Just looking at the pictures (which is all we have to go on) I know which out of the two dogs I prefer.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Interesting thread

Have to say on the whole I much prefer the UK winners. I am not a huge fan of overly groomed and feathery dogs

CKC Spaniel

Westminster - GCH Full of Malarkey Miles of Aisles

Crufts - Pascavale Phoenix

To be honest there isn't a great deal of difference between the two.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Have enjoyed this thread, nice to see the 2 dogs together and compare them!

Here is my breed, Bullmastiff

Crufts BOB: HOT GOSSIP OF BEWITCHED FORCE JUN CH

Westminster BOB: GCH Peerless I Am The Love Bug

I actually prefer the Westminster winner.
Face is nicer (not being as squished up), and the body just looks so much better - fitter and more muscular!
I prefer the look of the US as well
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Interesting thread

Have to say on the whole I much prefer the UK winners. I am not a huge fan of overly groomed and feathery dogs

CKC Spaniel

wow they have changed quite alot from the dogs I knew as a kid head is now totaly different

but yup little difference between the two, US one slightly better head IMO - but might be the angle of the foto
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Interesting thread

CKC Spaniel

No - I think I just prefer the US over the UK, it may be a slight difference in face shape, or it may be the markings or picture that make it look slightly different.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
devil, but we are being asked to comment on show dogs
So being as they are judged on the standard, then that is what we are looking at
We are constantly being told the standard is there to keep the dogs looking like the breed they are supposed to - but it is interesting to see the differences in two different shows, how they can look so different
The standards tend to be different, that was the point of the thread - to look at the differences.

Also re form following function, remember that the trial bred Springer short legged/long bodied shape has come about because it's flashier for judging in tests and trials, it's form does follow function, but not the original function the dog was created for. This imo is just as incorrect as breeding flashy dogs in the show ring to increase the chances of winning there, neither party really cares about the breed in reality, just where the next trophy/rosette is coming from. The breed standard was based on a dog used for hunting during shoots, the show ESS still has the correct form to undertake this function.

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
In the UK I think that if a dog is too barbered and trimmed it is penalised, particularly the gun-dogs.
Not so in the English Springer, until recently dogs with masses of coat did all the winning. Thankfully now the fashion has died away though and the coats are getting back to reasonable levels in respect to the dogs original job.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Fascinating thread, but where are the working Springers???

Wow, now you're making me a fan of breeding for appearance as well. Although Woody is very colour blocked like the US dog. I much prefer the Crufts winner though, what a smashing looking Springer, look at all those norty spots!

The US husky back looks horrid and I can't believe how different the afgan is, much prefer the UK version.

What is up with the US boxer's ears? I also thought the setters in particular had been GHDd!
The working Springers don't tend to win as they don't fit the breed standard unfortunately.

-------------------

I tend to favour the UK winners, although I'm not a fan of the UK Husky, Bullmastiff or CKCS. The last two especially look very unappealing to me tbh.

What worries me about excessive preening in show dogs, the US ones in particular, is the original breed risks getting lost and I do think this is why so many of the gundogs look so different (aside from the differences in the standard). A gundog, in my mind, should be functional and workmanlike. Regardless of whether the dog is worked or not, it should never be forgotten that these breeds only exist because they served a purpose created many moons ago. To forget this is to disrespect the breed imo.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow the huskies created a good talking point!

The US have actually split the Siberian Husky breed into two groups, which Mick failed to mention "working" and "showing"
In the UK people involved in the breed are really trying not to let this happen. Siberian Huskies are primarily a working dog that can be shown.

The US dog from Westminister is short in the upper arm. Has no croup. and is overangulated in the rear. Very little tuck up.
Also it appears to be the same height from elbow to ground as it is elbow to top of the withers (it should be slightly longer from elbow to ground) Coat appears to stand off the dog which is also incorrect.
If you watch the movement it also move wide at the rear and appears heavy on its feet!

I'm not a big fan of Ch Rajarani Ezekiel but he fits the standard much better than the US sibe. I would prefer a more refined head and better pasterns. He is also the correct height for the breed standard.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thanks for your opinion Mick, do you feel from looking at the picture of the US dog it could do its job - conformation wise?
IMO No, It would struggle as its confirmation is incorrect.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by gemma riley View Post
Wow the huskies created a good talking point!

The US have actually split the Siberian Husky breed into two groups, which Mick failed to mention "working" and "showing"
In the UK people involved in the breed are really trying not to let this happen. Siberian Huskies are primarily a working dog that can be shown.

The US dog from Westminister is short in the upper arm. Has no croup. and is overangulated in the rear. Very little tuck up.
Also it appears to be the same height from elbow to ground as it is elbow to top of the withers (it should be slightly longer from elbow to ground) Coat appears to stand off the dog which is also incorrect.
If you watch the movement it also move wide at the rear and appears heavy on its feet!

I'm not a big fan of Ch Rajarani Ezekiel but he fits the standard much better than the US sibe. I would prefer a more refined head and better pasterns. He is also the correct height for the breed standard.
how it should be
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by gemma riley View Post
IMO No, It would struggle as its confirmation is incorrect.
which is was what i was trying to say.
Page 14 of 17 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >