Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Dogs under the knife - and other cosmetic 'enhancements'

What do you think about cosmetic - purely for vanity purposes - surgery for dogs?

What about non-permanent cosmetics too, such as hair colouring, painting nails etc?

Thanks to BlueJay for the topic idea!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 03:57 PM
If the dog doesn't mind having nails painted etc I can't really see the harm but I even think twice before mine have necessary surgery as I know it hurts and they don't understand it so no to anything that hurts the dog.
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Don't understand someone having their male dog castrated then giving them implant Dingley Danglies just make them cosmetically intact looking
Nuts to me ah well what ever floats your boat I suppose don't think I'd bother
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Norma808 View Post
Don't understand someone having their male dog castrated then giving them implant Dingley Danglies just make them cosmetically intact looking
Nuts to me ah well what ever floats your boat I suppose don't think I'd bother
I agree. I'm sure the dog would find something else to lick lol!

*Your 'nuts to me' comment DID make me laugh!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Cosmetic surgery: Never, and should be prohibited. If a person wants to enhance their looks by undergoing cosmetic surgery, fine, their choice. Dogs don't get a choice so no, totally against it. Every surgery is a risk and just to take that risk for cosmetic purposes is beyond my unterstanding.

I have however on one or two occasions painted Ella's nails pink. It didn't hurt her, and nobody treated her like a child/human or less than a dog and family member so she didn't suffer.
Would never dye fur or anything like that but I guess some breeds that get clipped a certain way that could count as a cosmetic procedure. Then, as long as it doens't hurt the dog and as long as the dog is still allowed to move and behave naturally and gets walked (in whatever weather) that's fine.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Surgery for aesthetic reasons? No, no, no!!! There never can be any justification for this. If you don't like how a dog naturally looks, get a different breed or, better still, a stuffed dog.

Primping and preening? If the dog doesn't mind it and it pleases the owner, I see no harm in it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I'd say I am against it.

Who knows where it will end. Could we finish up with dogs having 'trout pout' jobs done on them? Botox to smooth out my Bellas lovely little 'furrowed' brow?

Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Totally against cosmetic surgery for vanity purposes, the dog isn't vain the owner is - it's not the dogs choice to have it done and I don't think it should be done to anyone/thing that doesn't choose it for themself.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cath View Post
Totally against cosmetic surgery for vanity purposes, the dog isn't vain the owner is - it's not the dogs choice to have it done and I don't think it should be done to anyone/thing that doesn't choose it for themself.
How true about it being the owner. And how lucky are we that our dogs adore us whatever we look like and don't sit thinking they wish they had a 'better looking owner'?

I've met some really ugly folk who go on at length about their dog's 'looks'.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >