View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 11:03 AM
thats fine i just thought i would get in now before i start being accused of a cross breed hater!! i know what it can get like on here lol
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL, so true. I'm wondering whether to put the lid back on but fear several worms have already escaped ;o)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 11:17 AM
When I joined, I jumped feet first (accidentally) into the 'designer dog' debate... Not a surprise as a proud owner of a 'Huskamute'. I am in no illusion that Kismet is a cross, but 'Huskamute' seemed a good a name as any as both her parents are Husky/malamute crosses, so she is a second generation Husky Malamute mix and it all got too confusing to keep explaining.

I have to say after hearing all the arguments that raged on around the issue and filtering through the anger and reaction, I did understand where most people were coming from and softened my own views.

The technical term for this sort of name is 'portmanteau' it means taking the beginning of one word and adding the end of another to create a new word with a mixed meaning, like 'edutainment' or 'mockumentary'...

So I love my portmanteau dog.

There is an important difference, I think, to be seen between people deliberately breeding 'fashionable' cross breeds, breeding unethically and in poor conditions, people creating deliberate crosses for a purpose, like Alaskan Sledgedogs (hound/husky mixes) or lurchers and people who had accidents among pets or with the neighbours dog and are having a bit of fun with the name.

Disclaimer: No opinions posted in this post are intended to cause offense, any offense cause is entirely unintentional and the poster apologises unreservedly for any offense caused.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:10 PM
LOVING the disclaimer Magpye.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking of making it my signature
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I think the post itself is great too! Well done you and well put xx

p.s. HOW many times can you use the word "offence" in one sentence? ;p
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
I thought i was just stating fact-it is not a breed and why people feel the need to give them stupid names i dont know but if know one said anything then people will keep giving them names and breeders will continue to breed a cross breed.

my original message was NOT offensive it was removed because it was off topic which is fair enough
Well said, I agree entirely BTW loads of threads go 'off topic' sometimes, but that is another story

I am upset that Sky News had a report last Monday that the Obama familly are (allegedly) to get a Labrador / Doodle mongrel (Mutt if you are American) and they even called it a Labradoodle, I hope it's not true (Sky, like most news broadcasters constantly get things wrong) but if it is true then millions more people are going to say "If it's OK for Obama then it must be OK for me"

What the people who buy these dogs are not aware of is that they are being deliberately targeted by devious, unprincipled, greedy breeders. And because everyone is now encouraged to think that whatever they do they are right, i.e. the mere idea of critiscism is non PC they tend to react the way that member did quote "get stuffed"

I really have lost hope for Joe Public and hope that most of them have something really horrible happen to them Better not say any more
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Apparently I upset the OP too by calling the dog what it was - a mongrel - but I didn't insult, in fact I asked to see photos.

There's nothing wrong with crossbreeds - I love them and have had them in the past. My problem is with the silly names..... they make me think the owner's been conned.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the straps.........
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well said, I agree entirely BTW loads of threads go 'off topic' sometimes, but that is another story

I am upset that Sky News had a report last Monday that the Obama familly are (allegedly) to get a Labrador / Doodle mongrel (Mutt if you are American) and they even called it a Labradoodle, I hope it's not true (Sky, like most news broadcasters constantly get things wrong) but if it is true then millions more people are going to say "If it's OK for Obama then it must be OK for me"

What the people who buy these dogs are not aware of is that they are being deliberately targeted by devious, unprincipled, greedy breeders. And because everyone is now encouraged to think that whatever they do they are right, i.e. the mere idea of critiscism is non PC they tend to react the way that member did quote "get stuffed"

I really have lost hope for Joe Public and hope that most of them have something really horrible happen to them Better not say any more
He did say that, that or another breed I cant remember, but he did say they are waiting for one at rescue thats why its taking such a long time, that imo is good that he hasnt rushed out and paid a large amount. And if the public are influence they may do the same.

ETA Portuguese water dog is the other breed they are considering.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post

I thought Labradoodles were OK as they help allergy sufferers who need working dogs (blind etc) for assistance? I may be wrong of course.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »