Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Reeling in shock at dog airfares!

Jesus! Just phoned Monarch (didn't realise they accepted pets - thought it was just BA and CA from here).

I knew the rules changed in Jan re the rabies stuff and they changed again some 5 yrs back when all pets had to to 'world cargo' if coming from UK and keep on changing but - it seems NEVER so that it makes it EASIER to fly a pet!

They now charge INWARD to the UK per animal. Flat charge of £540 even if it ain't as big as a cat! And OUTWARD from the UK by size of 'crate' and the minimum is £480!

Recently also read that now UK is insisting on minimum of 'size 2' Vari kennel (was very happy about that as I recently sold my size 2 thinking as it was too big for Bella - I'd be better investing in a smaller one). I will now have to buy another! Sold mine for 20 euro (used once) and will have to find about hundred for another lol!

Wondering now if I've wasted the money to get her passported (thinking she'd come back and fro with me in future now the rabies has kicked in) and thinking it could cost no more than the 500 I've paid in the past. But to fork out £1K every time for the dog seems, well, out of the question. Especially as the flights for me and my daughter (same flight) are 100 all in!

It's looking like more (shorter) trips for me. £1K goes a long way at the boarding and she likes it there. Was just hoping to do a 2 or 3 months stint.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 10:02 AM
that is terrible and sad really that it takes away from ordinary people wanting to travel with their pets
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
that is terrible and sad really that it takes away from ordinary people wanting to travel with their pets
Yes, I'm very sad Zoey. In fact I was close to tears when I got off the phone to them. Whole family wants to see Bella with me and I miss her so much.

Nowt for it now but to change plans again for more, but shorter trips over there and the longer term plan ....

Move to feckin' SPAIN or anywhere on the EU Mainland! Can bung me and the dawg in the car and just wave her passport at the borders and go on the ferries with her.

I am gutted.

My son is now shouting he will pay her fare. No he won't - he's just paid 800 for a return to come out and see me for just one week because it was the blimmin Jubilee bank holiday week.

She has excellent boardings here but I miss her too much after a couple of weeks.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 10:44 AM
It is ridiculous. This is why when we go back to the UK for a visit Spen will be going in kennels, we just can't afford to fly him backwards and forwards. I dread being posted to Canada or Cyprus having heard that people have spent thousands of pounds to get their dogs flown out

Sure, we could drive being on the EU mainland but it's a hellishly long drive and not something any of us really want to go through repeatedly. Not when we'll only be there for a few days.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Dear god I had no idea it was that expensive!?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Yep, that is flipping expensive!

What a disappointment for you
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:18 AM
How about flights to France then ferry?/ Chunnel?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
How about flights to France then ferry?/ Chunnel?
Sosha that is what my daughter suggested immediately when I told her about this - my comments were it would be nice if it meant a bit of an 'extended holiday' but not if the total cost outweighed this blimmin RIDICULOUS airfare!

I have a good pal in the UK looking into Airfrance and whatever right now.

Of course it has to be an airline that flies from Cyp. Not all of them do. And I'd have to land somewhere where it wouldn't involve the TVG or some 500 mile road journey (I won't have my car with me!)

Dagnammit! I am SO pissed off! I cannot type properly!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 11:43 AM
That is extortionate!!! No wonder you're mad! I am for you. It's a ridiculous price, especially considering the cost of the humans travelling, and they get seats - travel in much more luxury than the animals, and they pay a fraction of the cost. Ridiculous.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes Insomnia - believe it or not the airfare cost for me and my daughter on the 26th July is just €100 each plus the charge for a hold bag.

I am SO cheesed off I can't really discuss this. I've been months sorting it all out with the vet and the passport and DEFRA and keeping myself up to date with the latest changes to the Pet Travel rules. Didn't think to check how much money the feckers wanted now.

They say 'making it easier'. It was EASY before. I say 'making it more expensive'. She is CARGO. i can send a box BIGGER and HEAVIER than she is for a fraction of the cost.

And a flat rate per PET is ludicrous. Pet rat, rabbit, cat, kitten, puppy, mini dog, huge dog - all the SAME cost?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >