Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Memory/Scrap books

I feel a bit torn, so some suggestions would be nice!

When I got married to my ex, I spent a lot of money on a nice photoalbum (silver fabric cover with thick cream coloured pages) for our wedding pictures. Unfortunately, because we didn't have a professional photographer, there weren't very many pictures that we actually liked or were in focus, so the album ended up being only partially filled. It then went up into the loft when we moved into my current house and for two and a half years was pretty much forgotten about.

My OH and I were clearing the last of my ex's stuff out of the loft recently so I could take his junk to his new girlfriend's house, and I came across our wedding album. I decided I wanted to hang on to it because, although things didn't work out, my ex was once an important part of my life and when I look back I want to be able to think "it wasn't all that bad". I don't think it's healthy to block out parts of my life just because of a relationship that ended badly, and we did have some good times together.

I have been looking at some of the photos of my OH and I over the last few months. It's not long until our first anniversary and I said today that we should start keeping a photo album or scrap book so that we can look back on the things we've done together. I've been looking online for a decent book to use, and suddenly remembered the album in the loft.
Do you think it would be appropriate to transfer the wedding photographs into a smaller album and use the nice album? It seems such a waste to have an expensive album shoved away in the loft with only a dozen or so pictures in it. Or should I keep the album for the purpose that I bought it for, and my OH and I chose a book together?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I`d go for another book that you choose together. That way it is anew relationship in a new book.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 03:50 PM
It is a waste and providing your current OH doesn't mind I would do the transfer and fill the big album.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Personally, I'd also go for taking all those old pictures out of that lovely album, maybe keeping the photo's in a folder or something, and using that lovely album for my new life. Having read your bloggs I can't imagine why you want to keep pictures of your "ex" anyway???? Don't you think your new o/h might feel better too if you dumped them?

I used to have lots of albums from old days, and after we got married I noticed my husband had taken out all the pictures of all my ex-boyfriends for some strange reason!!! Without even telling me he'd done it!!!! I know old pictures are lovely to look back on but somehow I just feel your wedding pics and what you went through at the time when you first met this lovely new man, aren't really something you would want to look back on in the future are they? Or maybe they are? I don't know. We're all different aren't we!!!

My point being, at least use that lovely album, what good is it doing sitting up there gathering cobwebs!!!!
Jagged Edge
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2008, 03:57 PM
No way... that was then this is now. New book definitely! They are some great scrapbooks on the market and they don't have to be expensive. I do scrapbooking so if I can offer any help let me know. My friend is an avid scrapper and she did a surprise one for her oh for christmas of every year of their married life together. It was fantastic.

Jules
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 07:52 PM
New book definitely.

The old one belonged to your past, so go get a special one together. It doesn't have to be expensive, as like a lot of things in life its not what's on the outside put the effort you put into it.

I can understand you not wanting to throw away old pics but I wouldn't keep them all.
I kept every single photo of my ex but that's purely because he was Charlie's father but is now dead. So they are all packed away for Charlie to decide what to do with them if he is ever curious.
I haven't seen them for years.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I`d go for another book that you choose together. That way it is anew relationship in a new book.
I'm with Rachel on this one.

New relationship - new book
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I would get a new album and you could have it personalised

They do some beautiful ones on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Personalised-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I decided a new book was the way to go. I am planning to get rid of a lot of old photographs some time soon - it's just finding the time to sit down and do it! I literally have a handful from my wedding that were any good anyway, hence why the book is so empty! My dad is very into family history and the like (something he developed an interest in from my grandfather) and regularly complains that he can often not find photographs, so I guess I have just become accustomed to hanging onto things, in the event that they are of either family or historical interest to later generations of my family.

I was actually on my way to Smiths after work this afternoon, and came across The Works (I forgot there was one in town!). One of their front displays was a scrapbook kit, that retails at £25.99, but was marked down to £6, so I got that. We can completely customise it, and we have the equipment to recover it as well if we decide to (it's just a hardboard cover), so now that I have some papers and things, I just need to dig out some photographs from the last year