Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Please read my posts Tang.

I am highlighting what livestock means to a farmer vs what a dog means to its owner. It is no where near equal.
That doesn't in any way mean the sheep has less of a right to life as a dog, they are neither more or less important to themselves. They feel and understand pain and being hunted.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Apparently thousands of sheep and cattle are injured every year by dogs, causing distress to farmers and adversely impacting on farm businesses. But very very few of them are shot by the farmers.

I think it's probably that almost every case of a farmer shooting a dog makes headlines whereas very few cases of dogs killing, mauling or worrying livestock do.

As the law stands now obviously the onus is on the dog owner to make sure their dog is never put in the position where a farmer can legally shoot it.

It's OK saying what about if you just 'drop the dog lead' accidentally. Well what about if you did that and your dog savaged a child? Would you expect nothing to be happened because you didn't MEAN or INTEND to drop the lead?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Some recent statistics

Dyfed Powys Police
Updated Apr 23
Reported sheep worrying incidents
13 = Dog seen chasing sheep
11 = Attacks resulting in livestock injuries
23 = Attacks resulting in livestock deaths

I've no idea how many dogs were shot and killed in that area but I bet it wasn't 47. Or anything like 47.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Having grown up in Wales and seeing first hand the destruction our beloved pets can cause not only to the sheep but to the farmer and their income and lives, then yes I believe farmers should be able to shoot dogs. This happened year on year, usually tourist's dogs even though there were signs asking people to keep their dogs on lead around livestock

I'd even go as far as to say that if it was highlighted more then maybe these owners would take responsibility for their dogs actions and realise it doesn't spoil a dogs fun or hurt them to be on lead during a walk, at the end of the day dogs are dogs no matter size/breed, they will chase

To me it's in the same vein as would you walk your pet off lead down the side of a busy road? No-one would say anything if the dog ran across the road after a cat and got killed! My Kiz is 99% off lead and in an emergency she'd be the one I left off lead BUT I wouldn't choose too - that 1% is too much of a chance for me.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I think that this is probably part of the problem Tang.......the instances of sheep mauling are many, but the farmer is not always there when it happens, he just finds the dead and dying animals when doing his rounds.

He is therefore not going to ask questions if the next day he sees a dog, or dogs, racing amongst his livestock and I can honestly say that I don't blame him. A few years back, I was unfortunte enough to call on a farmer friend (for hay) just as he was bringing in the bodies of ten sheep. Four had been killed outright, and the rest had to be destroyed humanely because their injuries were so severe. The farmer was in tears - it had taken him many years to build up a superb flock and each animal meant a great deal to him. A few days later, the dogs responsible came back and he shot both of them as they were in the act of attacking the remaining sheep. He was again in tears, as he is a dog lover, but he had absolutely no option.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I know what you are getting at Azz, but that fact still does not give us as dog owners the right to immunity if we allow our pets to threaten the livelihood of a farmer.
I'm not saying dog owners should be immune. Just like thieves or vandals or car drivers are not. If you damage someone else's property you (or your insurance) pays up.

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I am not sure that farmers would be particularly keen on forking out a large amount of money buying a tranquiliser gun along with the necessary darts. Then of course, they would have to care for the downed dog; try to trace the owner; go through lengthy court cases etc. etc. Who can blame them for protecting their animals simply and effectively, when the law is on their side?
Businessmen don't like having to fork out on very expensive CCTV cameras, alarms, bollards etc. But they have to.

As I mentioned in another post. They tranquilise the dog and report it to the police - who pick up the dog like they would a shoplifter. The owner gets traced then via the police.

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
That doesn't in any way mean the sheep has less of a right to life as a dog, they are neither more or less important to themselves. They feel and understand pain and being hunted.
Supposedly, livestock do have less of a right to live than dogs - because we eat millions of them every year.

But that's not the point I am highlighting anyway - I am highlight the relationship we have with dogs compared to the r/ship farmers have with livestock - which I feel is no where near equal.

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Some recent statistics

Dyfed Powys Police
Updated Apr 23
Reported sheep worrying incidents
13 = Dog seen chasing sheep
11 = Attacks resulting in livestock injuries
23 = Attacks resulting in livestock deaths

I've no idea how many dogs were shot and killed in that area but I bet it wasn't 47. Or anything like 47.
Thanks for that. Hardly a huge problem then - no where near what other businesses have to contend with in terms of shop-lifting, theft etc so why the license to kill. Sorry but it just doesn't add up or make sense to me whatsoever.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Azz I am not at all sure that it is possible to equate livestock killing and worrying by dogs to burglary, shoplifting etc.

The former is carried out by an animal to which this sort of thing might be latent natural behaviour, and it is therefore totally up to the owners to prevent it from happening....not up to the farmers. The latter is carried out by the low life percentage of the human race, against which even the most sophisticated defences are often not enough.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Well I will nail my colours to the mast and say I am a vegetarian and see sheep and dogs as no different, but even if you are a meat eater the welfare of the sheep should be of utmost importance to you as you are after all responsible for it's death so you can eat it.

We have as dog owners to not allow our dogs to be anyone else's problem they are our responsibility and no one else's. And if we allow them to go into another person's property and maul their animals someone has to pay sadly it will be the dog although if the farmer shot the human he would have my vote as it the human's fault.

I would be very against spending tax payer money on police and trials over this too which I think has been suggested.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Good points SJ.

The way I see it is pretty simple:

The dog's life means more to its owner than the life of livestock to the farmer - where it is simply a business asset. It is not a pet, it is not part of the family, it is not a friend who you have lived with everyday for a decade - it is a commodity, a commodity that they are going to send off to be killed for meat. The relationship is not equal - nowhere near equal. I would be surprised if any dog lover would even begin to think they are.

Tranquillisers should be considered instead. Or research done into other methods - would horns or firing loud guns be sufficient to scare the dog for example? What about good ol fashioned shepherds and sheep dogs on patrol? Failing that, there are laws to protect people's property and they should be pursued instead - just like a shopkeeper or any other businessman has to when any of his property is stolen or damaged.

Killing the dog is not acceptable imo.
Your assuming that ALL dog owners see their dogs the same as you do.

You are voicing your opinion on how you see your dogs, not looking at the situation from all points of view.

Your giving yourself the superiority over the farmer because your dog is a pet, and his sheep are only a commodity , why do you think you deserve more consideration than the farmer

Your alternatives are flawed, loud noises want stop a dog that is past the point ( red zone) , tranquillisers often won't work on an animal that is running high on adrenalin.....shepherds and dogs on patrol, that might work if you are Shepherding small pastures, but what about mountain sheep up in the wide open spaces...

The bottom line us simple, if you value your dog, keep it on a lead around livestock.

You ( we) the pet owner don't have the monopoly on who's love has priority ...

The farmer has a right to see his sheep as a commodity, we do not have the right to say his relationship with his sheep is lesser than ours.....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Your assuming that ALL dog owners see their dogs the same as you do.
I would think it is a correct and accurate representation of a dog lover, and how we see our pets like family members.

Your giving yourself the superiority over the farmer because your dog is a pet, and his sheep are only a commodity , why do you think you deserve more consideration than the farmer
Because my relationship with my dog is much deeper than his relationship with his livestock - as demonstrated in my previous posts. In fact I would argue that there is little or no relationship with livestock apart form that as a commodity, similar to other businesses and their stock.

Your alternatives are flawed, loud noises want stop a dog that is past the point ( red zone) , tranquillisers often won't work on an animal that is running high on adrenalin.....shepherds and dogs on patrol, that might work if you are Shepherding small pastures, but what about mountain sheep up in the wide open spaces...
Tranquillisers work on wild animals. I don't see why they can't work on dogs. And even if they didn't - find other ways. Just like other business owners have. The responsibility is theirs - not mine.

The bottom line us simple, if you value your dog, keep it on a lead around livestock.
It's not as simple as that - see earlier posts.

You ( we) the pet owner don't have the monopoly on who's love has priority ...
LOL that's the whole basis of my point - there is no love between a farmer and livestock, at least no where near on the same level as a 'family member' - to them it is purely and simply profit/a commodity - otherwise they'd be running a sanctuary not farming animals for slaughter.

Now that's not to say they don't care - I am sure some of them do, but it's no where near the same.

The farmer has a right to see his sheep as a commodity, we do not have the right to say his relationship with his sheep is lesser than ours.....
I'm sorry but yes we do. Just like we can comment on how many in China and Korea see (and treat) dogs.
Page 6 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »