Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Cop Shoots Georgia Dog in Throat

Cop Shoots Dog in Throat, Threatens Owner With Arrest If He Tries to Help Wounded Canine

Ed Krayewski|Jul. 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Another day another dog shooting. A cop in De Kalb County, Georgia, shot a dog that surprised him in its own yard and then wouldn’t let the owner seek help for the injured animal for more than an hour, according to Tim Theall, the dog’s owner, who spoke to 11 Alive in Atlanta.

Theall even says he can "almost understand" (11 Alive’s words) why the cop shot the dog—they startled each other in his front yard—but not why police blocked his exit to prevent him from seeking medical assistance for his dog and threatening him with arrest if he kept trying. Police say they are investigating, naturally, as they do all police shootings, but a police spokesperson sounds like cops aren’t disputing the account.

DeKalb County Police spokesman Capt. Stephen Fore told 11Alive the incident is under investigation, like any shooting. He said their officers are trained to preserve evidence at a shooting scene, but he understands the owner's concern over the dog not being treated immediately.

Fore added that the incident will be studied and that they "may learn from it" and handle similar situations differently in the future

A wounded animal, wounded by police no less, little more than evidence when procedures are followed.

If it were me I'd have my first assault charge...can't imagine something like this being allowed to happen. Trigger happy cop, you feel momentarily threatened so you shoot first and ask questions later???? And letting a dog lay there and suffer to "preserve a crime scene" WHAAAT???!!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2014, 01:07 AM
I heard about this, but then of course I did since I'm from Dekalb County, GA. LoveMyBull, this type of thing is horrible... but nobody had better even think of trying anything. The cop cares as little about you as he does your dog. Make a false move and threaten him, and trigger happy cop will shoot you, as well. Without question, so it's good the owner acted like he had some sense. No point in dying over something like this.

The dog will recover, which is the only good thing that comes out of this. They have set up a gofundme to help pay for expensive vet bills.

http://www.gofundme.com/c379eo

Thankfully, they have raised a lot... but they are not sure of final costs so people are still donating. So sad when STUPID cops shoot first, and then ask questions later.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Yes sadly we lived in a small town in PA for several years and the attitude of law enforcement was the town was a military state. No citizens rights, you stay under the radar or go back to where you come from...sigh.

Glad the dogs going to be okay.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Yup, the police are like that here. You comply, or you feel the wrath of the officer you "wronged" with nearly no chance for justice if something happens to you. I'm only glad the poor dog will recover, that is the silver lining here.