View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Maybe he has made a connection between eating his breakfast and you leaving for work? My pointer won't eat her breakfast if I've got my 'going out' clothes on.
Miranda53
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:57 AM
My little dog stopped eating breakfast before she was a year old, I don't know why. She now has two meals a day - one at midday and one early evening.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:39 AM
My BC had been acting strangely like this with her breakfast and started to just sit and look at it, then I discovered that she was linking the breakfast feeding with a walk straight after and her walks are just so exciting as she links them with 'balls' that she was almost thinking to herself, sod the breakfast, lets get going!! The only reason things had changed with our routine is that we were staying away from home and had to fit in with the routine of where we were staying. Hope this makes sense??!! In the meantime, we arrived home, got back to our routine but had to add fish4dogs salmon mousse as a topper more routinely than I had before to coax her back to the original routine of breakfast, break then walk!! They're so clever these dogs so I wonder if your routine has been upset or changed in any way. Is your dog linking this feeding time with something else she does or doesnt want to happen?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2011, 11:49 AM
He's an odd one lol. I think he is associating it with me leaving - but it is literally the same routine we have had for his whole life so far lol. He has done exactly the same thing once before about a couple of months ago but then went back to normal again.

I changed things a little this morning. Normally our routine is...
1.hubby leaves and lets him up on the bed from his crate, we snooze for an hour.
2. I get up, let him out to go to the loo, goes back in his crate for his feet to dry and make myself a drink
3. I let him out of his crate again and tell him its dinner time and he normally eats it as I sit and drink my coffee.
4. I start getting dressed etc and then faff around a bit and put him to bed before leaving the house.

This morning I first got dressed etc and then gave him his breakfast. Added a bit of oil to it and he was fine with it.

He was funny about his dinner last night too, and didnt seem to keen on eating it. I might maybe look at changing the food he's on and see if that makes a difference but then again I dont really want to encourage fussiness!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Not sure if this helps but Fred prefers only a teeny bit at breakfast but he woofs his tea so I give him a quarter of his food at breakfast time and the rest for tea. I used to worry and try putting all sorts on to get him to eat his breakfast but it seems he just prefers eating later in the day. Just wondering if your dog is the same?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I thought it might have been that, so the past week I have only given him a little handful at breakfast thinking he would be starving by tea - generally he was apart from last night when dinner didnt seem that great either!

I think it might be a bit of not liking the food anymore, associating it with me leaving, and probably my hormones sending off all funny signals at 37wks preggo!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 02:31 PM
ah that could be it, funny how they know something is going to happen isn't it. When my daughter was pregnant Mya used to sit with her head resting near her tummy
Fingers crossed he will improve, does he like sardines? My 2love sharing a tin of sardines mixed in with their dry stuff
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2011, 02:36 PM
oh yes he loves anything that stinks. Try and give him either tuna or sardines a couple of times a week. Worst case scenario a bit of oil on his food seems to do the trick!
Jennieja
New Member!
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Recently he just sort of takes this forlorn glance at his bowl and just sits next to it! Our routine hasnt changed in the slightest, still same food. If i put it in his kong, he'll eat it, or if I put a bit of water over it he will too. Dinner time - absolutely no problem, gets stuck in straight away.

Just seems really odd? He actually looks depressed about breakfast lol.
Elfie my eldest golden retriever is the same. Sometimes she just doesn't want it. Why not add a bit of water to Zulu's breakfast and see if he is tempted... if not don't worry too much (easier said than done)...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2