Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
__Tammy
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Grooming my cockerxspringer spaniel

I'm not sure what grooming requirements my cockerx springer pup will require and how frequently it will need this?
also i've heard they need various trims on certain areas,
any help would be appreciated
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 01:08 PM
totally depends on the dog and the cross, if its a working springer x working cocker you may not need as much,, have to say i have never had any of mine trimmed, unless its me chopping tats out, i tend to do their ears once a week and go over them with a coat king and a stripping knife when they look to be getting a bit fluffy, Coats vary on both breeds so much its a bit of a wait and see game
__Tammy
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Ooh right, i think they were working cockers & springers.
I'll just wait and see then, thanks for your help
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Also, remember if you have the dog neutered, it will make a massive difference to the thickness of the coat
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Misty is a springer x cocker, and she has a really fine coat, so I don't really have to do anything, just brush her ears and cut out any matty bits, and pick out any bits of twig, leaves etc! In the summer I trimmed down her legs a bit, because they were tatty, but I'll be leaving her as she is for the shooting season!!

x
__Tammy
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys & yes i am having her neutred, will this really affect her coat?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 12:55 AM
my working cocker has her ear trimmed and thats it,
like others have said it might just be a waiting game, but i would get your dog use to a brush early on, mine loves a normal hair brush (scratchin her back)
ATD x
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by __Tammy View Post
Thanks for the help guys & yes i am having her neutred, will this really affect her coat?
Sometimes the coat becomes quite Thick & Fluffy after a spey/neuter ~ due to the change in hormones BUT its not always the case, I have a few dogs that I groom regularly and after being speyed/neutered the coat texture has remained the same ~ each dog is individual and I wonder if also if the age/timing of S/N makes a difference? Anyone know?