View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
The picture looks more like an English Cocker to me. It would make more sense if she were a working cocker as most of the English cockers I know (including mine) are quite soppy and usually IF they catch anything (like the cat) they just stick their nose up its bum and that's as far as it goes! Also working cockers seem to be faster and busier. However this is of no help to you and I have no advice to offer so will butt out!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
It could well be a difficult problem to cure, as most dog have prey drive and once they have caught and killed, the thrill is immense.

I have tried (successfully with some dogs, and unsuccessfuly with another! ) to cure the problem by really getting on top of their obedience training and ensuring they either lie down immediately or recall immediately on command (usually with a loud "leave it" command). I can now call three of mine off a running rabbit, hare, deer etc (as long as I get the command in quickly!) but I am still struggling with Yogi - who loves to catch his own dinner and is blooming quick for such a big dog!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Between the 4 dogs, ours catch rabbits regularly, it's usually the mixy ones who are a bit slow and disorientated who get caught. TBH, I dont mind mine catching them as they dont go to waste (have you seen the price of rabbit in the shops!)

As a gundog, Flynn isnt supposed to catch anything but he'll never work properly as he's very hard mouthed so I use him similar to a running dog.

A spaniel is supposed to hunt and given an opportunity, will catch anything they come across. It's only the training we provide which interferes with this process. Even the best spaniels or HPR's will peg something given a chance and rabbits are known to be difficult to train on.

I would suggest the best route is gundog training but the trouble is once they catch something, it's hard to stop them and the longer it continues, the more of a problem it is to rectify it.

Once on a chase, it's notoriously difficult to get any dog back, even those with brilliant recall (Flynn has instant recall and a decent stop on the whistle but it all goes out the window once something starts running). I can stop him on the whistle if he holds a point but once the point is broken thats it.

It's good she is retrieving them as it shows she's not hunting for herself, she doing what she thinks she's supposed to do and views her owner as part of the hunting team. Personally, I think gundog training would be perfect, even if it's just the basics.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3