Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2007, 11:11 PM

What to train a 16 week BC pup next?

I'm not sure what to train Alfie next. We've got most of what we do at the training course (I'm not that happy with it, if anyone knows a good training course in the Southport Area, feel free to PM me, it would be a godsend!) and he knows sit, down, stand, paw, look, spin and we are working on stay. What should be next on the list? I'm working on Finish but I'm not really sure how to train it. We can also do Heel but only indoors, so need to work on that as well.

Thanks for the help!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:01 AM
The most important training element is Recall, so thats what I`d suggest. You could also incorporate toy retrieve to keep it fun and interesting, so would be teaching two things in one almost, perhaps alternating retrieve sessions with purely recall.

When doing Recall, always use a secure area unless pup is on a long line - a longline should only ever be attached to a harness, never directly to collar or head collar.

You can utilise the sit and the down for it, [ so helping with the Stay that you are working on ], to gradually build up the distance from literally one pace up to however far you have room for, but don`t rush it - just do a few minutes for each session so pup does`nt get bored or lose concentration, and however long it takes Alfie to respond, *always* praise when he gets to you - if there is one thing guaranteed to make recall fail its getting frustrated at lack of quick response because being impatient or telling a doglet off for not coming fast enough will make the handler the last person the dog will want to recall to the next time.

The key, as with all training, is to keep each session short and sweet, make sure its fun for you and Alfie, and always finish a session with something he is already reliable at so that he associates every session with something positive and exciting to get him looking forward to the next go :smt001
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Always finish on a "good" note - something that the pup does well - it doesn't matter what it is.

You are happy and so is your dog.

When training, it is, at times, a fairly slow process, but suddenly - your dog has "it"!

I have worked, for a couple of months, at times, just to get a dog to heel at the right place.

I now, no longer go in for trials, so I can allow my young one to be a bit "sloppy", but I don't let her disobey.