View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Behaviour problems (merged @ post number 6 'thank you Mini')

Hi all,

Many of you know the problems i've been having with Sanchez lately (toileting on the floor, scared to toilet in front of us etc) and i got him checked out by the vet saturday and there is nothing physically wrong with him so it looks like something has scared him but i dont know what.

We are at our wits end now and it has caused a massive strain on my marriage so i am now considering a dog behaviorist. Has anyone used one of these before? Can someone recommend one for me?

Any help would be most appreciated
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Leigh I am pleased the vet thinks Sanchez has no physical problems. So sorry you are having such problems with the little chap..

This is a good place to start looking for a behaviourist..
http://www.apbc.org.uk/
..if you find one be sure to give them all the details of the original problems so that they can get the full picture and help you.

As I told you previous I feared you could have problems later if Sanchez was restricted to relieving himself in the house as he grew older , also if I remember correctly he was at one stage punished for soiling in the wrong place by having his nose put in it...
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=716729&postcount=19

.. this can make dogs fearful of relieving themselves in front of their owners, add this to not being able to take a dog out when it needs to go which forces it to go in the sight of its owner and you can get a mixed up dog with problems.

I hope you can manage to resolve the problem Sanchez is having..

Added What would I do? Get rid of the newspaper and find a way to take Sanchez outside and give him a treat and lots of praise when he relieves himself.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks minihaha. I've been taking him out for long walks twice a day since friday and he seems to really enjoy them. I also take him over the park once a day for a good run and its so good to see him enjoying himself. I have found a communal garden nearby which i can take him to during the day to try and get him to do his business so we are trying all we can. I just want him to be a happy loving dog like he used to be.

I see that we went wrong with him when he was very little and i did fear this was a result of that but we are trying all we can to overcome it.
Meg
Supervisor

29-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Thanks minihaha. I've been taking him out for long walks twice a day since friday and he seems to really enjoy them. I also take him over the park once a day for a good run and its so good to see him enjoying himself. I have found a communal garden nearby which i can take him to during the day to try and get him to do his business so we are trying all we can. I just want him to be a happy loving dog like he used to be.

I see that we went wrong with him when he was very little and i did fear this was a result of that but we are trying all we can to overcome it.
Leigh The walks are good but no substitute for taking a puppy out every time he needs to relieve itself while he is growing up .

I remember you saying when Sanchez was just 10 weeks old he will look at me sometimes and just wee where he is standing and my husband is starting to get very angry about it which i dint really want.

Puppies go through what is known as 'The first fear imprint stage ' between 8 and 11 weeks, if they experience any traumatic or frightening thing at this time it will have a more lasting effect on the puppy than if it occurred at any other time in its life.

If Sanchez was frightened by your husband and punished for what was after all a natural bodily function, then was continually forced to relieve himself in a confined space indoors in front of someone who had previously been angy with him I could understand Sanchez becoming so confused and fearful he would end up trying to retain his feces and urine until he could wait no longer and was forced to relieve himself just anywhere. (I remember he retained urine once before)

I do hope you manage to sort things out..please don't think I am criticising or lecturing you in any way, I am just trying to point out what I think may be the cause of Sanchez problem based on reading your previous posts . (hug)
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I dont think your criticising in any way and i'm grateful to get an outsiders opinion because i have been thinking back to these first days too and i did think they might be the cause of the problems but over the last 5 months w have never punished him if he had an accident.

I am thinking about employing a dog sitter while i'm at work to take him out when he needs to go and might even be some company for my husband. It would be a lot easier if we had our own garden or if my husband was well enough to leave the house unattended but life throws some difficult things at you and you have to deal with it the best you can. I blame myself for getting sanchez when i wasnt 100% sure if it was right but i wanted my husband to have something to focus on.

I am looking into this sitter and have found a good training school nearby which is on sunday mornings and will be able to start this class on sunday which i am looking forward to because i think i need some guidance too as he is the first animal i have ever owned.

I appreciate your help and your concern for sanchez so dont think that i would take any of your comments the wrong way, i know you are only interested in the best for sanchez and us
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I just wanted to thank Minihaha for the advice and support she has shown while i was having troubles with my JRT.

I used your advice and started taking him out every hour since Friday just gone and he is now only weeing outside and hasnt made a mess in the house for 2 whole days . It is such a quick improvement and he has even started marking!!! He now enjoys his walks and we even go for a run every morning at 7 which is doing me the world of good too. I am much more relaxed, my husband is much more relaxed and sanchez is so much happier. :smt023

So thank you very very very much for the strong words you gave me because it seems to have done the trick. We will be continuing with this so he has some stability and routine to his day. :smt023
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I know i'm not Minihaha....but well done to you and Sanchez, he's soon got the hang of things

as you say well done to Minihaha too
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks Toby We've still got a long way to go but its working and thats the main thing
Meg
Supervisor

01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi Leigh Well done ! I am so pleased things are improving , don't forget to give Sanchez lots of warm praise when he relieves himself outside so that he is in no doubt that you are pleased with him and he is doing the correct thing .

If he does have an accident indoors please ignore it completely don't even look at him. I think he is a frustrated and confused little chap and it will take time to get him back on track. Once you do you can then move on to extending the time between trips outside but don't be in any hurry to do this, patience and gentleness are called for here with your sweet little dog .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Awwwww.
I have to agree...Mini is a total star.

Well done to you for the work you are putting in as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >