View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I played tuggie with Tonks but made stopped regularly and made sure she was still in control enough to stop when I said off.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Lacey loves it,we play all the time
Funny though,when I'm watching Hubby playing tug with her,I spend my time saying "watch her teeth"! Prefer when it's just her and me
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Pepsi and hubby spend hours playing kill the badger!
Pepsi usually wins
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2014, 04:55 PM
My view is that depends entirely on the dog. Playing tug with my Missy when younger wound her up very easily and made her more "in your face". I found with her that the game was making her too boisterous and aroused so I stopped as I thought being a terrier she already had enough energy and spirit without the encouragement of boisterous/rough games. As she's got older we've had the odd tug with a favourite toy etc and she's always very obliging of me "winning" and she's not that "into" it. Although when it comes to a large log/stick she wants she'll cling on for dear life and tug back as you try to pry it away from her.

My other dog doesn't like any such games and quickly drops the toy if you attempt to tug with it. He's extremely gentle and his play style involves nibbling on his toys mainly.

My sister's dog LOVES playing tug, and I do play with him. However, again, I do feel it winds him up somewhat and he starts getting a bit "wild" about grabbing the toy if you "win" etc. Doesn't help that my dad has encouraged him to "play" with your hands at the same time, so sometimes he'll get your fingers and want to mouth them etc. Not very cool! But he's not my dog and it doesn't seem to bother my sister and dad to much.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I personally like playing it with the dogs... until Nigredo goes berserk and scratches you with his foot or snatches your arm around.

I think it's a fun doggy game, as well. Glad to see everyone agrees with me
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Lacey loves it,we play all the time
Funny though,when I'm watching Hubby playing tug with her,I spend my time saying "watch her teeth"! Prefer when it's just her and me
Same here Eileen If it's not "watch his teeth" it's "watch his paws"!!!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Well I have always played tug with my Staffs every single one and everyone even now Bella "leave" on command yet "Ta" is a signal to race off and play kill the ragger. I let them have the ragger/pull often no issue as far as I am concerned all mine have adored it and Bella really loves it now she has go the jist.

I think you just need to know when to draw the line. Be able to read your own dog.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2