View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tofudoggy
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2015, 03:27 AM

How can I stop my dog from jumping around so his leg can heal?

My puppy, of almost a year old, hurt his hind leg, playing fetch and slipping. The vet prescribed him NSAID and rest - No jumping around or walking too much, etc. I have been keeping the walks under 10 minutes and allowed no fetching, despite his pleading looks... However, being a small (10 lbs) energetic puppy, he runs around the house like a pony on a jumping show. Since I already give him enough crate time (10 hr+), I want him to enjoy the normal cuddly lifestyle he used to have. I carry him up and down the stairs and try to discourage hyper excitement, but Tofu is a happy little lad, and I can't always stop him. What can I do to discourage him from being so active in the house? It's been a month and I think he is keep injuring himself. I am thinking of tying his hind legs together with some cloth like a sock, leaving only a few inches of gap, so he can't run/ jump so freely. I want him to be just uncomfortable enough to run. Is this a bad idea? Please help us. Thank you.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2015, 07:25 AM
You cannot hobble your dog... I'm shocked you think that as a viable option!

Give him things to do. Sticking him in a crate all day and expecting him to be fine isn't acceptable either.

Give him things to do to occupy his mind. Things to chew, meals out of kongs or other treat dispensing toys, trick training, reinforcing tricks/commands he already knows, scent games, other brain games...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2015, 07:55 AM
It is a big problem with such an energetic puppy. I am extremely sympathetic with your predicament. Whereas bluejay's suggestions are all excellent! With a breed like a cavapoo ... Very high energy ... It is physical exercise that trips his trigger! Involving retrieval and other movement. How we handled this with our Ben when he strained the ligaments in his legs jumping over cross country fences with tai, was giving him more exercise but on the lead. I don't know your circumstances of course but gentle walking on the lead for should be helpful. You could of course combine this with training to keep him amused. Lie down, sit, stay, wait and leave. An excellent opportunity to let the leash go, walk away a few paces and train him to sit, lie down, etc etc. We did this with Ben to make it less boring for him.

Definitely no hobbling!

Hope this helps.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Apologies for all the capital letters. I am on oh's IPAD. !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Hello Sylvia welcome as BlueJay says keep him occupied as much as you can, a well filled kong frozen (try things like mashed potato and sardines or cheese) can take ages to eat.

When I have had dog which needs restricting I sit on a cushion on the floor with it to play which stops jumping up and it will usually settle down and asleep there .
thedogproblems
New Member!
Male 

07-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Exactly you did a right job......
But it is unable to make a dog without hobble around rather than for a certain minutes.
The only way for a certain time is to give the available things beside him......
Train the dogs to heel need to walk on leash without pulling if they are formally heeling.
Keep training sessions freeguently,short and fun for your dog.