Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
purplelara
New Member!
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:23 AM

7 month old Rottie is eating so fast he's sick

Can anyone please give me any advice, i have a lovely 7 month old Rottie who seems to be always hungry, i feed him 2 a day and he eats his food so fast hes sometimes sick.
I have the slow down bowl which doesnt seem to help much.
He is otherwise very healthy (after vet checks ).
He also eats his own and my other dogs poo.
He is wormed regularly and I just dont know what to do.
Any one have any ideas please....................
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Are you feeding him the correct amount for his size? What kind of food are you using? Have you tried stuffing a kong with his food to slow him down? That would keep him busy too
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2012, 08:37 AM
If you feed him kibble, try hiding his kibble around the house. It slows our Canine Hoover down from eating his meal in 10 seconds flat to taking quarter of an hour. It also makes him think.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:41 AM
My Rottie cross inhales food as if she's been starved - but she's a good, healthy weight so it's not like she's not fed enough, she's just very "foody". Very helpful when it comes to training, at least!
With dry food, I often used to feed her in one of those activity balls that they have to roll around to get the kibble out of. A bigger bowl with a larger surface area seemed to help. Scattering the food on the floor - with laminate it wasn't a problem for her to be hoovering it off the floor, and in summer I'd scatter it in the garden to entertain her for a while too.
Now she's raw-fed, she has to stop and chew her food so that's helped. If I feed something like mince, I tend to stuff a Kong and freeze it so it lasts her a while.
At 7 months old I would maybe be sticking to three meals a day rather than two to see if that helps.

What food are you feeding on? The poo eating could be a bad habit, or it could be indicating that something is missing in his diet - or that something in the food isn't being absorbed by your dogs that well and is making the poo appealing to him to eat (e.g. foods high in cereals can be poorly digested - the dogs are attracted to the undigested cereal in the poo)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:34 AM
What are you feeding him? It doesn`t sound like it`s satisfying him.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Dennis (a rottie) is a food monster too. I thought he wasn't getting enough so I gave him more. He got fat. Go figure!

So he's been on a diet and now he's nice and lean again and still eating like a hoover. I tried one of those bowls that slows him down. Dreadful, it just made his nose sore, so it went in the bin. So I now just put toys in his bowl. Whatever is to hand when I'm feeding him, so they cover at least 2/3 of his dinner. He hasn't the sense to move them, and slowly eats round them. Job done!

As for the poo-eating thing, can't help you with that one I'm afraid. Sorry.

Em x
Beth95
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Try getting a larger size kibble, the density is the same so not getting any more food but each piece takes more chewing so they take their time because they have to! often called 'large bite' or something similar
Lunagal
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2015, 07:57 PM
I've also heard that putting a tennis ball in the bowl can help; I've not tried it or had the need to, but I have used the activity balls where they gave to roll it around to get the kibble out. I've used it for small quantities (not their whole meal) to help keep them entertained while I'm out.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Eating poo is actually a pretty normal thing for dogs to do, though slightly pathological when they eat their own... it's something you'll want to prevent if at all you can!

Scarfing food like a mad thing is also not unusual, though it, too, should be prevented-- in addition to making him sick, it could bring on the dread BLOAT, or gastric dilation. This is an extremely serious condition where a dog's intestines become twisted. It is easily treated with surgery, but it has to be caught immediately-- it can be fatal within hours. If you notice straining to vomit without producing anything, straining to poop without producing anything, hiding, showing signs of pain, especially with a swollen or dilated belly, you'll have to get him to the vet immediately. It's more likely to occur in the large, deep-chested, narrow-waisted dogs like Rotties, so do be on the alert for it.

With all due respect to Lunagal (and thank you for your suggestion!) a tennis ball is far too small for a Rottie and is likely to be ingested, and it's quite a choke hazard. Putting large objects in his bowl, forcing him to eat around them, is a very good way to slow down his snarfing, but you'll have to make sure that those objects are far too large to be taken into his mouth or get stuck in his throat*. You can get really big rubber balls from pet shops which will do the trick, or boil river rocks until they are completely clean, and use them. Scattering the food also works-- hey, if it's not all in one place, how can he snarf it? It might also be more fun if he has to work for it a bit!

Good luck to you!

*A pair of friends's Alsatian died choking on a rubber ball that he had had for years. It took only minutes to kill him, only the wrong angle catching it to do him in. His owners were utterly devastated. Please always make sure that all your dogs's toys are appropriate for their size and strength. A ball should not be able to sit between the molars of the back teeth-- it should be blocked, impossible to be swallowed or inhaled.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2015, 03:19 AM
I might suggest one of those bowls shaped to slow them down. Callie inhales his food, sometimes he does puke...which Sophie is all too happy to "recycle". give him a bit less than she gets...don't tell him please?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >