Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Dealing with Dominant and Aggressive dogs DVD

The discussion on the Dominant Dog Collar made me look up his DVD. Not wanting to spend money on Leerburg, I found a torrent of the DVD and I've made some notes on it.

Ed Frawley is an outstanding breeder, I've seen many of his dogs in competition and they always impress. Having said that, it seems to me that many of his views are old fashioned, outdated.

Here are some of the stranger claims.

"There are Four Different Areas of aggression in dogs". Aggression toward 1) Handler 2) Family and friends 3) Stranger 4) Animal

Types of Aggression

17!!!! He lists them
  • Dominance aggression - lack of "pack structure"
  • Defensive aggression - not a concern for family pets, only appears in protection dogs.
  • Fear based aggression - at least he recognizes that + methods are best for these type of dogs.
  • Possessive aggression
  • Territorial aggression
  • Predatorial/Prey aggression - running children/animals
  • Play .. - "part of dominance aggression"
  • Inter-male aggression
  • Inter-female aggression
  • Animal aggression (I assume he means interspecific)
  • Pain-elicited
  • Punishment-elicited aggression
  • Redirected aggression
  • Maternal aggression - dam with pups
  • Medical aggression - thyroid, brain tumors, etc.
  • Displaced aggression -
  • Genetic aggression -

On dogs that chew their leash/lines

"I'd put an e-collar on him and when I saw him starting to chew on the leash, I'd teach him that he's chewing on electricity."

Since the Dominant Dog Collar came up on the other discussion, this is what Frawley says about them in this video. Basically it is a choke collar.

On the Dominant Dog Collar

"If you have a dog that you want to give a correction to. With these collars., What this collar does is basically take the air away from the dog by pulling up on them."

"They learn when you take up the slack on the leash, you have it within your power to take its air away."

I love the crawler that showed up at the bottom as he said this, it read:

"Taking the air away from a dog is not painful"

It almost makes asphyxiation sound pleasant.

Dominant Dog Collar

Since the Dominant Dog Collar came up on the other discussion, this is what Frawley says about them in this video. Basically it is a choke collar.

"If you have a dog that you want to give a correction to. With these collars., What this collar does is basically take the air away from the dog by pulling up on them."

"They learn when you take up the slack on the leash, you have it within your power to take its air away."

I love the crawler that showed up as he said this

"Taking the air away from a dog is not painful" It almost makes asphyxiation sound pleasant.

Other Issues

If I had a dog that chewed on the leash "I'd put an e-collar on him and when I saw him starting to chew on the leash, I'd teach him that he's chewing on electricity."

On the whole, he tends to make too many assumptions of what the dogs are thinking and what they know. Like others, he has a tendency to see dominance is far too many aspects of behavior and assigns them motivations
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow, sounds like he has little understanding and even less empithy with dogs
Being strung up till you pass out is dangerous and must be vvv scary and tramatic for the animal

Anyone who uses that type of 'training' should be in jail or at the least banned from owning animals
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Wow, sounds like he has little understanding and even less empithy with dogs
Being strung up till you pass out is dangerous and must be vvv scary and tramatic for the animal

Anyone who uses that type of 'training' should be in jail or at the least banned from owning animals
This guy is nuts. Ed Frawley has very strong opinions, strange ideas etc and puts them forward as fact. He spends far too much time talking about his hand gun as well!