View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Ever had a dog that just did not like agility?

what it says on the tin
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Yup! Merlin!

Not only was he stressed by other dogs eyeballing him, but he fell off the see-saw and wouldn't go near it again.

Which is a shame because on the first lesson he was going over the A-frame, along the walk, and jumping like a stag. Not keen on the floppy tunnel though, (there were monsters hiding in it probably), and starting to learn the weave which wasn't too bad as he already weaves through my legs.

Second lesson, when he fell off the see-saw, he then refused to go on any structure again as well (A-frame, walk etc) and tunnels were out.

Third lesson he was just too stressed by everything especially one or two of the other dogs and I had no choice but to take him home. I didn't get the chance to complete the course of lessons as the weather was so bad the following weeks anyway.

I guess if I had my own equipment at home he would have slowly gained confidence, but a group lesson was not for him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Well - I tried Shamus over a little jump at Working Trials club and he got in a real dither and fell over it and everyone laughed at him so we didn`t go back.
Daisy loves agility but I need oxygen half way so we don`t do much.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Yep, Meeka had one training session and on her first time round the course had the trainers gushing about prospective ability, duck to water etc, as she went round without hardly a glitch and is a quick little dog.

She has refused to ever do another round

It's not just agility though, if i take her training she's happy to hang out with the other dogs but once I give her any commands she lays down and refuses tomove apart from out of the door
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes....Jess, my border collie

she only did the tunnel and refused to do anything else

she spent every session with her head glued towards the exit door!! After 5 sessions I gave up!!

Never had a problem with any of my boxers though
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Polly my rescue collie, hated it. Even in the garden, so after a few efforts I stopped and she did HTM. Which worked well until we had to go to other places, she was so unhappy I stopped after a couple of shows. I can't see the point of making a dog unhappy just for a show.

She did get a 5th place though!

rune
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Teg was terrified of the dog walk to start with, even when lay on the ground. After a couple of lessons though he realised it wasn't going to kill him and has been crazy about agility since.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I have one who I know won't jump - she prefers to go under them, she wouldn't do the tyre one, she would flat out refuse the see saw, the A frame and the dog walk and the weaves - she'd just walk past them. In fact I set up my own little mock agility sort of thing in my garden - she did the jump but was totally not amused by me showing her how to do the weave..

Louie probably would do agility, but he's slow and an elephant with his paws.

Benjie - you ask him to jump over a hosepipe laying down in the garden...He just barks at you until you move it or drag (not literally) him across it..

So yes - 2 would nots and 1 maybe.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
The only one of mine I tried it with was Syd, they did a taster session type thing, he did everything perfectly first time even crawled through the tunnel on his tummy cos it was a bit small and promptly refused to repeat any of it
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
No I haven't!