View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 06:02 PM

If you were to rescue, what would you want to know?

About the dog
&
About the rescue

Please use point form (or yes/no type answers), eg:

(Think of them as submittable forms that would have to be filled in for each dog being put up for rescue, and the rescue questions would be for when they create their profile)

Dog

Good with cats?
Good with other dogs?
Can live with children under 12?
Dog assessed by: [qualified behaviourist | rescue | vet]?
Is the dog micro-chipped?
Dogs weight?
Is the dog currently neutered?

Rescue

Do you rehome.. [ex-breeders | abused dogs | dogs people no longer want]?
Are you a registered charity?
Do you home check?
What is the donation required per adult?
What is the donation required per puppy?

etc
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Dog
Known health/behavioural issues?
How long has the dog been in rescue?
What are the dogs known likes and dislikes?

Is that what you mean?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah

The sort of thing the rescue can easily fill in when adding a dog - kind of like a multiple choice type questionnaire
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Just giving this a quick bump... anyone?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Dog's age.

Pal of mine took a big black dog from a rescue and they told her it was about 4 years old and she believed them. Anyone experienced with dogs would have seen it was obviously MUCH older than that (it was even going grey round the muzzle). We laughed and told her to put a 1 in front of the 4 for a closer approximation!

Fortunately for this old dog my pal and her hubby absolutely loved it and kept it until it died even though it had a few health problems all the while they owned it.

As for other questions - my own experience has been that it is more important that they are TRUTHFUL with their answers - and say that they just don't know if that's the case.

Unfortunately to some extent they rely on what they've been told about the dog when it was left with them and some people will not be truthful about the reasons for not keeping their dog if they think that the truth will result in it being put down or not being 'adopted'.

I took a dog that turned on my toddler (and didn't like any other very small kiddies around the age of 1 to 2.) but who loved all older, bigger kids.

Battersea (where it came from) said to me that the previous owners must have known about this problem but probably hoped it was just related to 'jealousy' of their own new baby and wouldn't be an issue in another home. They also said that not being 'good with children' doesn't mean they can't rehome a dog. Just means they look for owners who do not have any small kids or have any visiting them.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2012, 01:10 PM
To be honest, a greying face is not always an accurate indicator of age. Guinness is not yet four, and I know this for certain as he's a tattooed greyhound and I have paperwork confirming his date of birth and tattoo markings.

He is extremely grey around the face, extending up from his muzzle to around his eyes. When I first saw his picture I thought he was an oldie, and was quite surprised when I enquired about him and found out he was only young.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I rescued my Lurcher and was really not switched on to what a rescue could offer and had a steep learning curve when he came home

If I could go back in time these would be my questions

Background/History of the Dog
Behaviour Characteristics of the breed/Type
Things to know/consider with this type of dog
Health Status
Accurate as possible age mainly due to well being and vet considerations
Support offered when the dog is home
Clarity on the requirements of the dog e.g how much walking , best type of feeding , things not to do e.g a lurcher and chase instinct
Info on local training clubs etc
And just knowing they were there for you when you may be struggling - RGT certainly provided this with my adopted grey

In terms of some of your suggested questions , his weight was an issue as he was a stone underweight but it was only me that was keeping an eye on his weight gain,weighing him weekly and keeping a chart, he had to be neutered as a condition of adopotion, no info in terms of he was with other dogs , cats ,children and the homecheck happened when I wasnt even there only concern was a six foot wall/fence and a gate so he couldnt get out, not ideal really , RGT were so different , came and had a chat , worked through the homecheck form, saw my house and my dog in my house and made me feel that I 'passed' the homecheck.

Luckily for Tom I would never have returned him but he has been hard work to tolerate other dogs , he is a bright boy but a real handful , there was a queue for him . I was first in the queue but second was an elderly couple the lady walked with a stick and there is no way they would have coped with Tom at his worst, and ost likely would have returned him to the pound ,3 yrs on he is great following KCGC classes and lots of effort from us , but a dog you can never be complacement with and needs somone who understands lurchers and works with the constraints they bring as a pet.

I would still love to know where exactly Tom ws found as a stray and who found him and how he ended up in the pound that doesnt change the fact we love him dearly but it would be nice to know

Hope that helps Azz
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 01:58 PM
We asked all the questions about Mindy before we brought her home, met her, introduced her to little Molly.... fine...

I could have asked as many questions as I wanted..... but 8 months later.... we have got an incredibly different dog from the one we rescued

That could have turned out a problem if someone with little patience or elderly had adopted her. They told us that she was very quiet, etc.... No Way!!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Dog

Good with cats? Yes
Good with other dogs? Yes
Can live with children under 12? Yes
Dog assessed by: [qualified behaviourist | rescue | vet]? Yes
Is the dog micro-chipped? Yes
Dogs weight? Yes
Is the dog currently neutered? Yes

Rescue

Do you rehome.. [ex-breeders | abused dogs | dogs people no longer want]? Yes
Are you a registered charity? Yes
Do you home check? Yes
What is the donation required per adult? Yes
What is the donation required per puppy? Yes

Pretty much I would want as much info as possible if taking on a rescue, that way I could make a good choice on if the dog will fit my family and not just go on looks alone.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Maybe this sounds strange but I would prefer to be told nothing .
I would prefer to make up my own mind about a dog .
Too often I have heard rescues describe a dog for example as aggressive when in fact my opinion was that they were boisterous and lacking in training .
Also people often lie when they hand them in so that is nothing to go by .
I have rescued 3 dogs and in each case knew nothing at all about them .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >