View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Bichon Frise question (recommended health tests for this breed?)

Anyone know what health checks the Bichon Frise should have please.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Well frankly I haven't a clue but in my Bichon book it says that they are known to suffer with luxating patella which is trouble with the knee joints or a slipped kneecap and says reliable breeders have their breeding stock checked regularly by a vet which has helped to reduce the incidence. Another important factor is the dog shouldn't be overweight as this is likely to exacerbate the problem. It says many dogs live with luxating patella without experiencing pain but surgery is necessary in some cases.

Another problem currently being investigated in Bichons is one affecting the hip joint. Hip dysplasia, the most common of all canine orthopaedic problems does not have a high incidence in the Bichon.

A problem that has only recently been revealed in the Bichon Frise is that of cataracts and the mode of inheritance is currently being researched.

I don't know if this helps a bit Sweep but I think the patella problem is the worst problem they are likely to get.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Legge perthe (sp?) disease is a problem apparntely (bit like HD I think), luxating patella and also I think some heart problems are starting to crop up now.

My sis got one a couple of months ago and it sounds like they might be the new craze as everyone's been asking her where they can get one.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys..............

I am not changing Breeds - A neighbour stopped me the other day and asked my advice on looking for a Bichon Frise Puppy, I suggested she contact the Breed Club, then it got me to thinking re: Health Checks etc having looked at a couple of sites, none mentioned any, which is why I came on here to ask.

Thanks again
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Sweep
Thanks guys..............

I am not changing Breeds - A neighbour stopped me the other day and asked my advice on looking for a Bichon Frise Puppy, I suggested she contact the Breed Club, then it got me to thinking re: Health Checks etc having looked at a couple of sites, none mentioned any, which is why I came on here to ask.

Thanks again

Awww I thought you was going to get your doggies a Bichon friend then Sweep

Don't think they have many health problems - Meganrose is getting a Bichon puppy in a few weeks from an excellent breeder -maybe she can ask her pups breeder when she gets back for the USA in a couple of weeks. I would have thought the Bichon Frise Breed Club would be able to tell her though.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Awww I thought you was going to get your doggies a Bichon friend then Sweep

Don't think they have many health problems - Meganrose is getting a Bichon puppy in a few weeks from an excellent breeder -maybe she can ask her pups breeder when she gets back for the USA in a couple of weeks. I would have thought the Bichon Frise Breed Club would be able to tell her though.
My Sweep would not be impressed

Thanks
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I have had Bichons for over 18 years and only had a knee problem with one of them and that was when she was 14 years old.
I have 3 now aged 8, 6 and 2 and they do not seem to have any health problems at all.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:59 AM
i think they can suffer skin problems too? but not sure if this is breed related? just from experience of my mums bichon who i think got exema or something on his back. he suffered a luxating patella too and eventually his cruiciate ligaments snapped and he had to have surgery.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
i think they can suffer skin problems too? but not sure if this is breed related? just from experience of my mums bichon who i think got exema or something on his back. he suffered a luxating patella too and eventually his cruiciate ligaments snapped and he had to have surgery.
Funny but I'd read in breed books that they're one of the few white breeds to not suffer from skin conditions!

Who knows!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >