View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
If it's not made any difference, what's the point in the current ban, surely hunting with hounds makes no difference?
Oh I'm sure it does for some peoples idea of fun. Oh and it would cost a lot of time and tax payers money to get it changed.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
How do they teach the foxes to know the difference between what 'we' want to have fun shooting and make money from?

As I have asked where is that place, we've seen responses on here that game keepers hire blokes on quads to kill all the foxes around the estate and surrounding areas, anywhere near farms anywhere near towns.

How do you cull so that foxes only stay in the areas we say they are allowed?
Then you live in a very different area to me, that doesn't happen and I don't know of anywhere nearby where it happens, estates simply can't afford to hire people to ride around on quads all day just in case they come across a fox, and if they can shoot it.

Why do foxes need to know the difference between what some view as a countryside sport, and what for them is normal day to day survival? Yet again, I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of emotions onto a wild animal. Foxes are wild, they live or die whether the hunting ban is in place or not, some times that life is good, some times that life is short and painful, the hunting ban changes nothing, except makes a few fluffy bunny huggers feel good that foxes don't die an awful death at the mouths of hounds (regardless of how many now die of starvation and disease).

And as has also been shown on this thread, it's ok for animals to feel stress and be hunted by dogs, as long as we feel ok with it.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh I'm sure it does for some peoples idea of fun. Oh and it would cost a lot of time and tax payers money to get it changed.
It's cost an awful lot in tax payers money so far with cases that have been brought to court and thrown out. Good use of money or not?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 10:42 PM
As I have asked where is that place, we've seen responses on here that game keepers hire blokes on quads to kill all the foxes around the estate and surrounding areas, anywhere near farms anywhere near towns.
That is near me...

The place in question is a very large game hatchery (that has been going since the 60's), that supplies estates etc with thousands of birds every year - when at capacity, they have 1.5million birds. They have excellent fencing, electric and otherwise, motions sensitive lights etc... however, what they can't risk is continuous fox attacks, where the foxes kill hundreds of birds - that's an entire family's livelihood, not to mention the local people they employ.

If there is a fox in the area that has been killing domestic animals/livestock - they will shoot it. If the foxes are taking their food from someone's garden/small holding, then they are more likely to come onto the hatchery's property too.

We live in a very rural area - there is plenty of 'wild' food around (rabbits etc) that they shouldn't need to come into gardens etc and eat people's chickens.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nooo Tarimoor they dont do that do they?

Its a really good article, thank you for copying it to here.

This video was taken a couple nights ago, 4.14 am outside my house. The window had been closed about an hour before in an attempt to shut the damn noise out. This goes on almost every single night for hours on end. I live in a drive of 9 houses, these animals are a bloody nuisance in every way. I do not (nor my neighbours) appreciate this row when we have to get up each day to go to work. Me 5.20 am every morning and Im sick of it as I know others are. These Foxes are FED by idiots who think they are cute, but strangely two such idiots dont think that right now because yes, they would really like to sleep once in a while too! Steps are now being taken to remove them, the Foxes that is!

Its black cos it was dark!

http://youtu.be/CyNfZEMdeNU
Ive a neighbour who has roosters that start crowing at 4.30am
Every day. I get 'sick' of them too as you aptly put it as do a lot of others nearby. Its relentless. Its no joke when youve to get up at 5.30am & drive an hour to work as many do round here. Its relentless 24 x 7. 365 days a year. Never any break. It goes on all day.

So yes it is inconvenient, tiresome, grating on nerves annoying because someone wants to keep roosters as pets. They make a heck of a lot more racket than those foxes day in day out

My point is sometimes you have to live & let live.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Then you live in a very different area to me, that doesn't happen and I don't know of anywhere nearby where it happens, estates simply can't afford to hire people to ride around on quads all day just in case they come across a fox, and if they can shoot it.

Why do foxes need to know the difference between what some view as a countryside sport, and what for them is normal day to day survival? Yet again, I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of emotions onto a wild animal. Foxes are wild, they live or die whether the hunting ban is in place or not, some times that life is good, some times that life is short and painful, the hunting ban changes nothing, except makes a few fluffy bunny huggers feel good that foxes don't die an awful death at the mouths of hounds (regardless of how many now die of starvation and disease).

And as has also been shown on this thread, it's ok for animals to feel stress and be hunted by dogs, as long as we feel ok with it.
Exactly my point and made by a fair few on here. The OP's implied that the fox should know but I ask the question (ok maybe rhetoricly) how are they supposed to know that little fluffy or birdy thing with feathers sat in a hutch /pen unable to run so an easy meal is different to one of the fluffy things that runs away and makes it harder work?

As for your last statement I've seen only one response that advocates that! I certainly do not.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
So sorry to read this...

I am fairly lucky in that I live close by a game hatchery... they are very good at spotting and shooting foxes, and have some lovely boys on quads with guns who will come over and get rid of Mr Fox when necessary...
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
That is near me...

The place in question is a very large game hatchery (that has been going since the 60's), that supplies estates etc with thousands of birds every year - when at capacity, they have 1.5million birds. They have excellent fencing, electric and otherwise, motions sensitive lights etc... however, what they can't risk is continuous fox attacks, where the foxes kill hundreds of birds - that's an entire family's livelihood, not to mention the local people they employ.

If there is a fox in the area that has been killing domestic animals/livestock - they will shoot it. If the foxes are taking their food from someone's garden/small holding, then they are more likely to come onto the hatchery's property too.

We live in a very rural area - there is plenty of 'wild' food around (rabbits etc) that they shouldn't need to come into gardens etc and eat people's chickens.
How do they know which fox has taken the birds whatever in question or do they just indiscrimately shoot any fox they see? No I dont expect them to know just as I dont expect a fox to know the difference between domestic kept animals and those that are kept for 'sport'.

I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of logicical thinking onto a wild animal.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Then ask a fox an algebra question, and see if it gets it right.

Sorry, but that is an incredibly naieve answer, other animals do not have the same level of intelligence overall, to be able to attibute qualities to existence that we do. We have the ability to create theories, understand empathy, and design things that make our lives how we want them.

Yes, some animals have some of the same ability, but if they had it to the same extent, why are we top of the food chain?
Are we top of the food chain? Really? I would like to see a human stand up against a tiger, or a curious shark. We have opposable thumbs and have created weaponry as a result but that doesn't make us top of the food chain.

As for me being naive- it is naive in the extreme to judge another species's intelligence through a human test ( as in your example of a fox doing algebra; tip that on it's head and let's see you escape the hunt.) Intelligence tests measure one chosen thing: maths, English, verbal or non verbal reasoning, emotion....even humans do well in some but not others. One person's view of intelligence is entirely different to anothers. To judge another species by our standards is arbitary and not useful.
"I am amazed at how people seem to attribute human sort of emotions onto a wild animal." Tarimoor.

Yet it is okay to do it with human measures of
intelligence which is just ad hard to measure ( if
not more so) as emotion?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Yes, but foxes were once prey, and to a certain extent, they still are. Whenever, I've seen a fox, it acts exactly like a prey species would act.

I've never heard this before:

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I have never heard it before. I can't personally see the difference, see above comments.

I didn't think this was a topic about foxhunting, rather about fox control?

Helen
Disagree that foxes were once prey - only to humans, and then not to eat, but to be used perhaps for their fur. All the foxes I have ever seen have most definitely not been acting like, say, a rabbit. They will scarper for sure if they see you, but I watched a very healthy and very beautiful young fox near us who hadn't seen or heard me coming for quite some time. He was sitting there sunning himself just like a dog would. A rabbit would have been displaying far more defensive behaviour, and when eventually spotted me he would not have loped off as this little guy did, but would have legged him at the rate of knots!!

the point I was trying to make is that herbivores are prey ... to take the rabbit scenario again, a rabbit expects to be eaten at any moment by a whole myriad of creatures ranging from humans to birds. They are on guard 24:7. Ipso facto, my logic tells me that for a rabbit to be chased by my dogs is far less stressful than for a fox to be hunted - a vastly superior creature in terms of intelligence, and certainly not used to being attacked from all sides on a regular basis.

Whenever there is a discussion about foxes, inevitably fox hunting will be discussed. Fox hunting has been part of our rural countryside for centuries. It is not going off topic to discuss fox hunting IMO
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2012, 07:51 AM
When does a cute fluffy creature become vermin?

Tiny mice are cute and fluffy until they come into your home and wreak havoc.

Domestic cats are cute and fluffy until the unwanted kittens end up as the feral cats that rip through window and door screens to get into your home and wreak havoc.

Foxes are cute and fluffy but they carry mange which can get passed onto pets, as some Dogsey members are well aware. And yes I know that there is no rabies in the UK but there is here and it is carried by foxes, so those cute and fluffy foxes are not welcome in my back yard.
Page 9 of 31 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »