Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 09:24 AM

OMG Chasing Foxes!

Argh!

O/H took out Tyler last night quite late,took him down the lake and let him offlead, No problems as his recall has always been spot on for 3 years until last night.
There was a fox which wasn't very far away,he picked up the scent,fox turned and ran once it realised Tyler was there,Tyler spotted it running and gave chase,O/H called and called him back but he ignored him and carried on chasing after the fox
O/H had to run after him,at one point he was out of sight,he ran out of the park,accross a busy duel carriageway (thankfully it was quiet because of the time)and was halfway up the road heading towards the docks when O/H managed to get him to stop.
He didn't tell him off for bolting for obvious reasons,however he felt like it.I was annoyed with Tyler for ignoring O/H but he said that it was perfectly normal for him to chase after the fox after picking up the scent.

O/H said it happened so quickly and it was so unexpected he didn't have chance to put him back onlead before he bolted.
He has never been a problem offlead and has never chased anything before,he has never bothered with other offlead dogs, cats in the garden etc.
So why did he give chase last night ?
I'm not even sure what he would have done had he caught the fox because he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

So obviously this leaves us with little faith in his recall,so how do I deal with it ?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Its difficult but I'd try getting him to down rather than calling him back. This seems to work for me. Usually there's no problem, but every now and then you meet something that is just too exciting.
I practice emergency downs most days. I wait until they're chasing a toy or are a decent distance away and then yell down and raise my right arm.
Once they are down I make them stay until I walk up to them, never recall from where they are. If they're very excited this works where a recall doesn't. I make them stay because once they're moving there's more chance of the chase starting again.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks,
Have a few ideas to try,but I think the test will be when we allow him offlead again,It's shaken me up to be honest to think about what could have happened.
It was just so out of character for him to chase.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
As it's so out of character don't worry too much about it. I think not many dogs would have passed that 'test' with a fox popping into view so close.
Maybe also teach the stop command or leave it may help. That one works with my Wilson.
Becky
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thanks,
Have a few ideas to try,but I think the test will be when we allow him offlead again,It's shaken me up to be honest to think about what could have happened.
It was just so out of character for him to chase.
That's the trouble you can go for ages with no problems and then something happens and it reminds you 'dogs will be dogs'.
I think fox must be a very exciting smell.We have a fox that takes a short cut through the garden at night and its a nightmare letting them out quietly for a late night pee. They want to charge around barking like mad
His chase was probably a one off, but I know it does shake you up.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
yep Bruno gets teased every evening by the foxes round this way, My Oh takes him out about 1 in the morning and bruno chases them all over the local park but never catches them as he is too slow and they can run circles quicker than him !!

I dont think you need to worry too much, practice recall etc but think its quite a temptation with these norty foxes !!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Oh crikey, Sal, how scarey! Pleased to hear there were no awful consequences, and hope you can sort it.

x0x
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
It was scarey, and so unexpected.
If nothing else it gave the O/H a work out