Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 09:10 PM

Judges/Show People, Body parts help!

Could anyone explain to me about front angulation please?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 06:56 AM
The term front angulation refers to the angle of the two bones that make up the front assembly.

Find the point of the shoulder blade with your fingertips, it's at the bottom of the neck where the neck meets the shoulder. Then with your other hand, find the other end of the same bone, next, find the elbow, which marks the end of the upper arm or humerus. Now assess the angle the two bones, ideally they should be at 45 degrees.

Dawn R.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:54 AM
There are two ways in which angulation can be described; firstly as Dawn says the angle between the shoulder blade and upper arm, or secondly the layback of the shoulder blade in relation to the vertical, which is most often seen in standards eg 'shoulder well laid back.' Hopefully this diagramme will help. Sorry about the scribbling, it's been used to illustrate another point.

One point where I don't agree with Dawn is that the ideal angle is 90 degrees. This degree would be expected in Achondroplasic breeds (eg Corgi, Dachshund) but it's now generally accepted (though not yet reflected in the wording of some standards) that 90 degrees is not an efficent angle in dogs of normal construction. The angle in this diagramme is about 115 degrees which would be about right for a NI

Edit: I do believe Dawn meant 90 degrees not 45. 45 degrees is what the *layback* would be on a dog with an angle of 90 degrees between shoulder and upper arm.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Thank you very much that is most helpful.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Edit: I do believe Dawn meant 90 degrees not 45. 45 degrees is what the *layback* would be on a dog with an angle of 90 degrees between shoulder and upper arm.[/QUOTE]

Doh of course I do.

Dawn R.