Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 11:00 PM

Help!!!!! (again)

Well we finally got the email that said we could connect to broadband this afternoon on the 10th day and we have been trying desperately all night to connect but we can't do it. We have installed the software and connected everything up but it keeps saying that the modem isn't plugged in and we know it is. We have plugged it into a USB port at the back of the tower and the light on the modem is just flashing red all the time and not green as it should be. We are clueless. I thought that the port must be knackered but when I plugged my camera into the port it found my camera no problem, so we haven't a clue what to do next.

This is what I feel like doing at the moment

Ideas anyone??
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Is there a helpline number of your provider??
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 11:11 PM
canīt you phone them it is only an ajusment you have to do sounds like it doesnīt get a return signal from your provider phone them and they will go through it all with you the only way really.

Fred
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 08:26 AM
hope you get it right soon
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks BordercollieLvr and Fred

Yes I suppose that will be the only way but I hate doing that because when you phone these computer clued up people and you are a computer thicko (like me) you feel like they are talking a different language to you and whatever it is they are telling you to look for on the screen I can never find it - even though it can be there right in front of me

I feel sorry for my 14yr old because he was really excited about it all and couldn't wait to get started and he was trying everything last night to get the damn thing working
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Foxy,

You should have two lights, what is the other light doing? Have you/did you install the disc before connecting up the modem? that would cause you probs if it was connected before installing the disc.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Hi Foxy,

You should have two lights, what is the other light doing? Have you/did you install the disc before connecting up the modem? that would cause you probs if it was connected before installing the disc.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Yes we installed all the software first and then plugged the modem in and put the filter on the phone line but the modem has one red flashing light on the left hand side and no green ones whatsover. The other - on the right hand side doesn't light up at all.
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2005, 09:21 AM
have you got more than one phone in the house say in the bedroom for instance.You have to put a dsl filter on every phone line.
With mine I had to do that first before installing the modem plus you shouldn't put your usb cable into your usb port until they tell you that the modem has succesfully been installed,then you plug in your usb and then you should restart the computer .your software should then automatically connect you to the internet and you should be up and running.
That's what happened when I installed my AOL.
Do u not have a troubleshooting guide at the back of the instructions that came with the software.....in mine it says some people can have problems connecting because of their firewall and then it gives you instructions to get round it.
Try setting your firewall to disable and then re-install the software for the broadband.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Something I had to do was unplug all my phones apart from the Broadband connection and then try and connect. then if you can start plugging the phones into the filters one by one until you cannot connect up that will be the problem.

I hope this helps

Ian

P.S. Are you using Wanadoo? If you are there is a help section on the CD that came with the modem, sometimes this can help.

Edited to say:- You will need to plug the modem cable into a filter too.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Something I had to do was unplug all my phones apart from the Broadband connection and then try and connect. then if you can start plugging the phones into the filters one by one until you cannot connect up that will be the problem.

I hope this helps

Ian

P.S. Are you using Wanadoo? If you are there is a help section on the CD that came with the modem, sometimes this can help.

Edited to say:- You will need to plug the modem cable into a filter too.
Thatīs true didnīt think of that if i know foxy she will unplug everything
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >