Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 01:32 PM

Suggestions for van or pick up for dogs

Hi all,
I was wondering what everyone drove to chauffeur our four legged chums around? Just now I have a Mazda 6 estate but looking for more space now my dog walking has taken off and I've been doing it a year.
Just now I'm looking at the ford connects and fiat doblo van wise but because we do a lot of hill walking, drive through all year round no matter the weather and live in the country I've looked at ford Rangers and Mitsubishi L200 too.

Any recommendations and pics of crate set ups would be great ☺️
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I drive a Hi-Lux Invincible Pick-up truck and I love it. I need a 4x4 as I live on a hill farm. It is expensive to run and tax but it is so reliable. I have had it for 8 or 9 years now and it has never let me down.

I am getting prices for having cages or an inner tailgate put in, but as my main dog tends to travel on the backseat everywhere with me, I am not sure it is worth it.

Would love something from TransK9 - but they are very expensive ...

http://www.transk9.com/products/

My pick-up

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Just now I'm looking at the ford connects and fiat doblo van
When we were in Czechland we regularly had snow from January to April and surrounded by hills. We had the FIAT Doblo people carrier version and we took out the middle row of seats.

We had it for ten years but I have reservations about suggesting it:-
1) Every winter the sliding door would 'freeze up' and was a pain to unfreeze.
2) There is no 4WD option and I was stuck in snow a few times.
3) One January the temp. dropped very quickly and cracked a valve, had to have a new 'half engine' because of that. very costly
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Think you need to consider how many dogs you are taking out at one time.

The size of the cages you will use.

When I had my last two dogs (a Border Collie and a mix and match medium size) I used pretty large cages and had them in the back of my then Doblo. It was great, but for more dogs, I'm not too sure how you would accommodate more cages. Of course, purpose built cages rather than the standard ones I used would probably make more use of the space. The problem I had was that although there was plenty of room, I had to place the cages for easy door access to get them in and out
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I drive a Hi-Lux Invincible Pick-up truck and I love it. I need a 4x4 as I live on a hill farm. It is expensive to run and tax but it is so reliable. I have had it for 8 or 9 years now and it has never let me down.

I am getting prices for having cages or an inner tailgate put in, but as my main dog tends to travel on the backseat everywhere with me, I am not sure it is worth it.

Would love something from TransK9 - but they are very expensive ...

http://www.transk9.com/products/

My pick-up

Very nice! I did look at the hilux but they didn't seem to have many near me to test drive but I might revisit this idea.

I live on a farm but without the hill 😜 Still huge ditches and pulling onto grass verges to let tractors past as I try not to play chicken with them.
Outwith work I would at most have two GSD sized dogs and baby and all the joyful things that go with that travelling with me.
For work I usually have 4 dogs (sometimes 5) though I like to stay about that number.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Think you need to consider how many dogs you are taking out at one time.

The size of the cages you will use.

When I had my last two dogs (a Border Collie and a mix and match medium size) I used pretty large cages and had them in the back of my then Doblo. It was great, but for more dogs, I'm not too sure how you would accommodate more cages. Of course, purpose built cages rather than the standard ones I used would probably make more use of the space. The problem I had was that although there was plenty of room, I had to place the cages for easy door access to get them in and out
For work I usually have about 4-5 dogs nothing taller than my GSD but outwith that would just be two GSD sized pooches and baby 😊

I've looked into the custom crates as my chums have done similar but need to be 100% before investing so much ££££ and parting with my lovely Mazda. As much as she's a city car I do have a soft spot for my 6.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
When we were in Czechland we regularly had snow from January to April and surrounded by hills. We had the FIAT Doblo people carrier version and we took out the middle row of seats.

We had it for ten years but I have reservations about suggesting it:-
1) Every winter the sliding door would 'freeze up' and was a pain to unfreeze.
2) There is no 4WD option and I was stuck in snow a few times.
3) One January the temp. dropped very quickly and cracked a valve, had to have a new 'half engine' because of that. very costly
Oh no 😮 Can I ask what age the van was? Out of all the vans I've research the doblo has been the most affordable by miles. And they come up on the dog van sites a lot all kitted out but want to know all the ins and outs.