View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jintyk
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Hello fellow Jack Russell owners (agility advice please)

I have two gorgeous Jack Russell bitches and they are wonderful I hope to start dog agility classes any advice ?
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 11:01 PM
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Welcome How old are they? As they shouldn't start training until they are about a year old. Also it would be best to find a couple of good training clubs, ask if you could go along just to watch and get a feel for the clubs and how they work before you choose one to join. There may be a waiting list to join, and you'll need some good basic obedience first before starting something like Agility- you don't want your dogs becoming a nuisance and potentially causing accidents
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
agree with above
Get yourself off to a good agility club. Even if you dont want to compete its always best to get the propper foundations in place
A big part of agility is teaching you how to handle - the dogs seem to pick it up much quicker than us humans

Basic obedience is a must - and as many tricks as you can teach helps as well, teaches your dog to love working with you, and you with them, and it teaches them to be aware of their whole body
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
My friend takes her two JRTs to agility and they adore it! Neither are very well trained but they`re a lot better now as both she and they are working at something they enjoy.
Have fun!
Betsybullie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by NCA1 View Post
Welcome How old are they? As they shouldn't start training until they are about a year old. Also it would be best to find a couple of good training clubs, ask if you could go along just to watch and get a feel for the clubs and how they work before you choose one to join. There may be a waiting list to join, and you'll need some good basic obedience first before starting something like Agility- you don't want your dogs becoming a nuisance and potentially causing accidents
I started agility with my bull terriers when they were really young, my agility club have a foundation class that teaches your pup to walk over poles on the ground, and to walk on planks & go through all types of tunnel.
As well as all your basics, wait etc
So by the time they are old enough to jump, they were halfway there already