Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Hoki's 2nd Day at School

Hoki the school dunce/clown here.

Last week I went to training class with my Mum for the 1st time. She was really pleased with me, but it was sooo easy - all the others were just silly young pups and they made me look so well behaved.

Anyway, last night was our 2nd class and Mum said as I did so well last time I had already graduated to the intermediate class.

When we got there, no more young pups - these were all teenagers or older, fully grown & most much bigger than me. Hmm, not sure I'm going to like this.

We start off walking around to heal, thats not too bad. But then Mum makes me lie down (all the other doggies are doing the same) and tells me to stay and Mum and all the other people walk out the room. Well, I'm not happy. Normally I will stay where she tells me to, but I don't like all these new dogs, even though they're not interested in me - they're all lying down patiently waiting. No, I don't think I want to stay in here so I think I'll just go & see where Mum has got to.....

Well I don't think Mum was too pleased to see me (though her and the others were laughing at me) but she didn't tell me off - I think she knows that deep down I'm just a big scaredy-cat. She just made me go back in the room but then she stayed in there with me - not next to me, but where I could see her. That wasn't too bad.

Next some more heal work, sits/downs etc. Mum's by my side again so this is ok - though the man in front of us smells like he has far more interesting treats than Mum has. But she's a spoilsport & won't let me go & find out what he's got.

Now the teacher is saying something about a temptation test - how he wants to see us leave something alone. Ohh goody he's got a bag, I wonder what's in it....I think I'll just go over and check it out....it smells so yummy.

Hmm. All the people are laughing again. I don't think I was supposed to leave Mummy to go & look in the teachers bag..Mummy has just come and got me and taken me back to where we were.

Now all the dogs are lying down in a circle & the man is coming round with his goody bag. Trouble is, he isn't actually letting anyone have anything - he's just putting it down in front of them. My piece in front of me is smelling sooo tasty but Mum makes me leave it. Can't I have it yet Mum?
This is taking ages, one by one the people leave their dogs, walk round the circle & when they get back to their dog they give them the treat. but this isn't fair - I'm the 2nd to last in the circle...that means I have to wait almost the longest....

Come on, be fair Mum. I'm on a diet as it is, dinner was not much & was ages ago coz Dad knows I get sick in the car & you expect me to lie with this lovely treat just in front of me? I don't think so.

I manage until half of them have been round & then hunger gets the better of me. When Mum's attention is distracted by watching another dog, I lean over and YES! I have the treat. Now everyone's laughing at me again, but I think I've made a couple of doggy friends because when all the people were laughing at me, 2 of the other dogs got the chance to snaffle their treats with no-one watching. Hee, hee, but now Mum's saying I'm a bad influence.

Anyway, overall it wasn't a bad evening. Mum says we've got LOTS of homework to do before next week, but at least I'm beginning to realise that all those other dogs aren't actually that bad & I don't reckon I will be as scared next time. As for leaving the treats....if she only fed me properly, I'm sure I would do better!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 10:38 AM
poor Hoki, lots of work for you I feel. Very funny blog Fiona.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Fudgeley. Yes, I'm pretty sure we'll never qualify for obedience championships (imagine us in the ring & Hoki sees someone with their packed lunch ). Still, she really makes me laugh & she's obedient enough for a pet...if we can get better, great, if not, I still love her as she is.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Lovely! She sounds like she was trying, but a bit to go. Just keep loving her whatever she does