View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Its a matter of choice really and the kennels preference. We dont like to allow it now due to the effects we have seen, a dog seeing their owner is not likely to realise they are going back in a kennel and be left again. Whilst they dont have any perception of time as we do, they do know their owners keep appearing and then leaving again. Its up to you, but on personal experience I would avoid it if you can.
Dawn.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2007, 09:23 AM
It is down to personal choice but my view is that dogs cope in doggy day care, they are in kennels during the day dropped off each morning and collected each night. Also dogs cope with being left at home alone all day while owners work, not ideal but the dogs are not traumatised by it. At least in kennels they have company and the attention of the kennel workers. Dogs deal with their owners coming and going out of their lives all the time without it causing problems. Dogs in quarantine deal with visits on maybe a weekly or daily basis, not many would consider putting a dog into quarantine if they could not visit for 6 months. Dogs live in the moment, yes they make a noise when you leave them but they don't spend their time waiting for your next visit they get on with life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Trouble.
I think the difference with doggy day care is that the dog is collected and taken home as you say, not left again, having been with its owner for just a short space of time.

Im sure some do it and they are OK, just in our experience its not such a good idea, each to their own.
dawn.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree it's a hard one to call without knowing the dog involved. I am a fan of well run kennels and think they are the best option when going away etc. and would probably opt for doggy day care rather than a dog walker should the need arise. To be honest we can only all speak from our own experiences and all dogs react differently in different situations. One of mine that I had years ago would sulk when I returned from holiday and have nothing to do with me for a couple of days, (stroppy git that he was ) my current dogs accept whatever situation they find themselves in.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Personally I wouldn't go - I know its hard for you but it'll be better for the dog to settle into the kennels routine.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
my current dogs accept whatever situation they find themselves in.

That's something I would like your opinion on, do you think your dogs are like that because of the breed (I have very little knowledge on DB's), they way you have just been with them since they were pups or is it a combination of both ?

I always used to think mind were happily adapted to any situation, ie kennels, but now I find that one dog is fine, just gets on with life, but the other is neurotic I think it was my fault for not adjusting him properly he had SA when a pup but is ok now. So I tend to think -- given my limited experience -- dogs that tend to get on with it/adapt because they have laid back owners ?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
That's something I would like your opinion on, do you think your dogs are like that because of the breed (I have very little knowledge on DB's), they way you have just been with them since they were pups or is it a combination of both ?

I always used to think mind were happily adapted to any situation, ie kennels, but now I find that one dog is fine, just gets on with life, but the other is neurotic I think it was my fault for not adjusting him properly he had SA when a pup but is ok now. So I tend to think -- given my limited experience -- dogs that tend to get on with it/adapt because they have laid back owners ?
That's tricky to answer because I have 3 dogs, 2 Dobermanns with very different temprements and personalities and a mixed terrier.
I don't think it's their breed, but more of conditioning to every possible thing life might throw at them from an early age.
I have always tried to be as laid back as possible in every situation from the beginning. I do try not to let dodgy situations wind me up but see it as yet another training opportunity and I do have a bit of a "whatever" attitude to life.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Thanks Fudgeley, everyone must think I'm such a wuss, it never rains but it pours!
awe your not a wuss, I would be the very same, look at the mess I got into when Beau went to his new home, eveyone totaly understands, poor you, I think you will feel it far more than the dog, Thats how it was for me, crying all the time felling awful, and beau's up there having a whale of a time, sending huggs n stuff, keep your chin up, it will soon enough be time to bring her home, x shona x
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone,
Thanks especially to you Shona, have you got any recent photos of Beau? I often wonder how he is getting on?

I didn't go to see her today, I'm missing her so so much, but I think its for the best that I leave her there, her hormones will be all over the place, and there are two bouncy cocker spaniels next to her, so I'm sure she'll be playing chase up and down the kennels with them!

I just feel so guilty, I hope she doesn't think I'm abandoning her!

Anyway, thank you all for your replies, at the end of the day, its only 3 weeks, I'm sure when she comes home to me our bond will be as strong as always. I just miss having my puppy cuddles at night time, and playing with her out on our walks

Never mind, worse things happen, at least I shall have her back in 3 weeks time
Thank you all again, I value and respect everyone's opinions and I am grateful for the time you took to reply to me
Love Lorna xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Lorna, I have not had the photos yet, Andrew did say he would send some, but I think he is a bit like me, sure he will get round to it, I may email him and give him a gentle reminder, the min I get them I will post them on the forum, thanks for asking after him, Andrew is delighted and I think he is happy now that the dog has bonded to him, I have still not cashed the cheque for him, it makes it so final, lol I did say at the time it may take me a few weeks to put the cheque in, thanks god andrew is the honest type, (like andrew with the photos I guess I will get round to it)
I hope the time passes quickly for you, but I get the feeling it will drag because of the way you feel, chin up she may not need the full three weeks, she may come out quicker, is this her first season?

I met Eunice (aka Lovezois) at crufts when she mentioned Beau I started crying, such a red neck, so I dont think your a wuss and if you are Huge hugs from one Wuss to another
x shona x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >