Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 09:51 AM

Valium for dog having seizures?

As you might know, Poppy is on a steroid injection for her seizures once every three weeks, in addition to her heart tablets and her diuretics.

Her seizures consist of shaking a lot and falling over, though she doesn't lose conciousness. Because the seizures have not lessened (in fact they are increasing in frequency), the vet has suggested that we change the treatment and has suggested a 'valium'-type of drug.

Is anyone aware of this? I know that I had to change her heart tablets from Fortecort to Vetmedin a while ago, so I'm not worried about the fact that she may need to change treatment, but I want to know that this is OK. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks, Katrina.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Katrina342
As you might know, Poppy is on a steroid injection for her seizures once every three weeks, in addition to her heart tablets and her diuretics.
Her seizures consist of shaking a lot and falling over, though she doesn't lose conciousness. Because the seizures have not lessened (in fact they are increasing in frequency), the vet has suggested that we change the treatment and has suggested a 'valium'-type of drug.
Is anyone aware of this? I know that I had to change her heart tablets from Fortecort to Vetmedin a while ago, so I'm not worried about the fact that she may need to change treatment, but I want to know that this is OK. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks, Katrina.
Hi Katrina, if the present medications are not working well for Poppy, it is best to switch and try other things until you get the correct combination..there is nothing to lose.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Valium is of the benzidiazepine class (such as temazepam etc). Typically used as a sedative, Use of this mediacation after four weeks can cause addiction. Once a pattern of use has been established if the medication was withdrawn suddenly this can cause a withdrawal seizure. However if medication was weaned it should cause no serious problems

This type of medication is usually used for anxiety and sometimes fits. Your vet can xplain in more detail

Alex
xx
Meg
Supervisor

18-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
Valium is of the benzidiazepine class (such as temazepam etc). Typically used as a sedative, Use of this mediacation after four weeks can cause addiction. Once a pattern of use has been established if the medication was withdrawn suddenly this can cause a withdrawal seizure. However if medication was weaned it should cause no serious problems
This type of medication is usually used for anxiety and sometimes fits. Your vet can xplain in more detail

Alex
xx
This is correct Alex but can I add the above relates more to the use of the drug in humans. When one is assessing similar drugs for use with dogs other factors are taken into account like the age and predicted life expectancy of the dog, then addiction and the long term effects of a drug may not be significant
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:09 PM
the physiology of the drug and animal matters not. The receptors and neurotransmitters work in exactly the same way. i had to answer my degree questions on this drug and its biological effects
Meg
Supervisor

18-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
the physiology of the drug and animal matters not. The receptors and neurotransmitters work in exactly the same way. i had to answer my degree questions on this drug and its biological effects
..that is so Alex ...but...when prescribing a drug and considering the side effects, one has to take into account the longer life expectancy of a human when compared to that of an already elderly ill dog, this can be quite significant
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:29 PM
granted when considering side effects and how long the mediaction will be prescribed i was merely pointing out the effect of the drug and the consequences of withdrawal
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Katrina.

The term "valium-type drug" has me perplexed. Valium, a benzodiazapam, is great for seizures HOWEVER dogs (as well as people) build a resistance to the medication quickly. The dose would need to be increased in frequency as well as strength fairly quickly to control seizures. Generally valium is NOT prescribed as the main therapy for seizure control but rather used in the emergency situation either as a suppository or an IV injection.

In the USA we generally prescribe phenobarbital for seizure control every 12 hours. In difficult to control seizures sometimes another medication like potassium bromide is added on to decrease the phenobarb. dose and get better control.

With ANY seizure medication, if you abruptly stop the medicine one can elicit something called status epilepticus, which is a potentially life threatening condition where the patient experiences a severe prolonged seizure. The body temperature rises to dangerous levels and brain damage can result quickly.

In the USA **IF** the patient remains 100% seizure free for a minimum of 2 years, then the seizure control medication(s) can slowly be decreased and possible discontinued. Liver enzyme levels should be monitored as all these drugs are broken down by the liver.

I do not know of Poppy's medical history but have never heard of a steroid injection as a treatment for true seizures. Are her potassium levels normal? Maybe she has muscle spasms rather than a seizure? Just speculation here at this late hour.

Hope this helps and doesn't make matters worse.

Lydia
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

When I asked the vet about the valium treatment she said that we should use it more as a last resort, so we've held off for now.

Lydia, you are right. When I asked the vet about the steriods, its meant to aid her mobility, its not for her heart.

Meanwhile, poppy is doing OK at the moment **touching wood**. Thanks again
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2006, 04:08 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{Poppy}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

That is great news that Poppy is doing better!

Lydia