Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2014, 11:44 PM

The banning of Pitbulls (split thread)

<Edit: The first 4 posts in this thread have been split from this thread>

Maybe that is why pit bulls here are banned. Some people try and slip under the dangerous dogs act here in the uk. We did have a few times owners owning such dogs tried boarding them with us which we refused. From what I understand they have to be muzzled when outside their property and the owner is not allowed to let others,ie boarding kennels for example. look after them.

We had a long conversation about this with out licensing officer when that act was introduced, His view was should there be a spot check in the kennels and a pit bull or other classed as a "dangerous dog" was on the premise being boarded, not only would we being trouble but so would the owner
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-09-2014, 03:11 PM
fey421, truly sorry for your lose. Accidents happen even under the most watchful eye.

To Tumbleweed, Total rubbish. The reason there banned is a complete lack of the caring to hold owners responsible. BSL has shown to not work so many times in so many ways, it's unreal. It's like blaming the gun for shooting someone. There are cases of a poorly breed or just clearly to aggressive of a dog, NOT DOG BREED. Given the right environment, training and care they have shown to be a very stable breed, health and temperament wise. Yes there a mid to smaller large breed that is very compact and very strong dog.
Any breed of dog not given the correct training, care, and love, can end up being dangerous, from poodle to mastiff.

Personally find your comment, when someone is grieving over a lose of a pet, higher uncalled for. She does not even know exactly what transpired between the 2 younger dogs. So you jump to it was the dog breed? In my line of work I find toy poodles. chi's, pugs and some jrt's extremely more aggressive than bully breeds.
Do I blame the breeds? No I blame the owners, for not socializing, and not training.

This could have been them playing and 1 got to rough, or 1 got rough and the other attacked, no way of knowing and your spouting about "this is why the banned in the UK.
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Maybe that is why pit bulls here are banned. Some people try and slip under the dangerous dogs act here in the uk. We did have a few times owners owning such dogs tried boarding them with us which we refused. From what I understand they have to be muzzled when outside their property and the owner is not allowed to let others,ie boarding kennels for example. look after them.

We had a long conversation about this with out licensing officer when that act was introduced, His view was should there be a spot check in the kennels and a pit bull or other classed as a "dangerous dog" was on the premise being boarded, not only would we being trouble but so would the owner
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2014, 06:55 PM
LMost
Suggest you read this before making comments. It is not what I say it is the law

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/contents

We have strict regulations here.

“public place” means any street, road or other place (whether or not enclosed) to which the public have or are permitted to have access whether for payment or otherwise and includes the common parts of a building containing two or more separate dwellings."

Over here she would not be allowed to have a put bull so the incident would not have happened

Maybe your USA laws need tightening up a lot

Yes it is tragic, but if she really knew the breed and what it is capable of she would not have had a pit bull in the first place. That is why pit bull are on our dangerous dog act.

have to say I cannot for the life of me understand someone "adopting a "killer " dog after it killed the owners own dog. The risk of it attacking other dogs or humans for that matter is greatly increased having now tasted blood.

some people are just beyond belief
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Read and fully understand. Maybe you wish to take the BSL and stuff it. the OP lost a dog and I think your out of line with your agenda remark.
Make a post and I will be more than happy to reply past that will not post in the op's post again.

Truly sorry again for your lose, and please don't blame yourself fey421. Also sorry for airing my views in your post.[
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
LMost
Suggest you read this before making comments. It is not what I say it is the law

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/contents

We have strict regulations here.

“public place” means any street, road or other place (whether or not enclosed) to which the public have or are permitted to have access whether for payment or otherwise and includes the common parts of a building containing two or more separate dwellings."

Over here she would not be allowed to have a put bull so the incident would not have happened

Maybe your USA laws need tightening up a lot

Yes it is tragic, but if she really knew the breed and what it is capable of she would not have had a pit bull in the first place. That is why pit bull are on our dangerous dog act.

have to say I cannot for the life of me understand someone "adopting a "killer " dog after it killed the owners own dog. The risk of it attacking other dogs or humans for that matter is greatly increased having now tasted blood.

some people are just beyond belief
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2014, 04:08 PM
I would just like to point out a few things

Pit bulls are not the only banned breed
A pit bull while is very powerful is not the only powerful breed and a rottie, german shepherd, staffy, dalmatian, labrador ect could as easily inflict serious if not fatal wounds on a cat, small dog, child ect.
They are banned in the UK but most people know of someone who has or had them while they have been illegal. So it's not working well is it.

I wanted to add that have never and will never vote for them to be unbanned just because I think the majority of people who will seek them out are those that shouldn't have a hamster or a goldfish never mind a powerful dog, intelligent and amazing dog. And yes maybe I do have a low opinion on mankind as a whole. A dog should be part of a family and not a status item or weapon.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2014, 05:34 PM
First off there not a banned breed where the original poster lives, to say maybe that why there banned in the UK is pretty rude.

So the UK has, Pits, Dogo's, Fila's and Tosa's as banned breeds. Past pits the other 3 are rare breeds in the US where there not banned.
So those 4 dog breeds are the issue? More like not wanting to hold owner accountable.

Not banned in the UK, Koochi Dogs, Cane Corso, Rotti's, Dobie's, BUlly Kutta, ect.... all large breed and very power dogs. the koochi and bully kutta are breed to be extremely aggressive, along with many other mid eastern breeds.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2014, 06:10 PM
The following breeds are classed as "dangerous" in Israel:

1. American Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Am staff)

2. Bull Terrier

3. Duguay Argentine (Dogo Argentino)

4. Japanese peafowl (Tosa)

5. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Stapp English) (Staffordshire bull terrier) (Staffie)

6. Pitt Bull Terrier

7. Brazilian filet (Fila brasileiro)

8. Rottweiler

It is illegal to breed the above dogs, and is now illegal to import them, although I cannot find when the import ban was imposed. The above list is as reported in December 2009

http://welcomingolim.blogspot.co.il/...in-israel.html
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2014, 10:43 PM
I find it ridiculous that a whole breed or type of dog could be lumped together and say they are dangerous. ALL breeds of dogs could be dangerous. It's like saying that all Colombian people are cocaine addicts, etc. I think people forget that dogs don't speak human, they have their own language and if others aren't open to learning how to read dog, it's a lose-lose situation and that's when things go sour.

You don't really hear of other breeds of dogs on the news when they bite. Why is that? The media creates a panic where it's not warranted.
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2014, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine moved to Kansas where he said pitbulls are banned and had to give his up. The only restrictions in the state I live in is certain landlords don't allow the breed on the property. I live in an area where most my neighbors have pitbulls and every single one is well behaved. From what I have read pitbulls lock jaw is a myth and their bite is weaker than a rottie or german shephard. I think because its a choice of breed for people that want a dog for hard*** looks and dont properly treat the dog, those dogs end up beimg aggressive. Like any breed that is poorly socialized, trained, etc they will become aggressive. I knew this breeder who kept her french mastiffs kenneledat all times and eventually one got out and was acting aggressive towards the neighbor and charged her. French mastiffs are very calm and family oriented dogs. Banning certain breeds won't solve the problem on dog attacks or aggression, those people will only go for another breed that looks mean like the cane corso mastiff.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Let us not forget that prohibition only affects the law-abiding, the pit is arguably more widespread in the UK now than it was pre-ban. The 1991 DDA came in after what I think was two documented attacks, there has certainly been more than that post-ban, none of the other breeds attacked anyone, infact there was not a single example of the Fila in the UK and I believe only one Tosa Inu, dont know about the Dogo. Talking of the Fila I have a buddy in Belgium that breeds and the so-called "Ojeriza" is possibly the most over-hyped trait I have ever come across, a lot of which is actually put about by the breeders themselves. Sure the dogs are protective but no more so than any other guard breed, its largely untrue that you will get a dog that will attack anything it can reach.