View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
We do have another tip like yours Steve, which is very regimental, but I like it that way. This one doesn't seem to care who puts what where really!

Dave's comment is "what do you want us to do, all live in mud huts with no furniture or anything, starve ourselves etc. etc. just so that we can leave this earth a better place for future generations, when I'm dead and gone"!!!!! He's got some strange ideas sometimes, and attitude!!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't recycle at all, and it's pure laziness.
I want to sort my utility room so I can have some crates for each thing, til then I know I'll be banging my head against a brick wall.
I also don't know what I can recycle and what I can't, as our paper/card recycling says 'no food packaging' well most of mine is like cereal boxes so why can't we recycle those?

I do think we should do like the do in the States where we got charged about 5 cents tax on every can etc, and then when you take them back and put them in a machine you get your money back. Same as how we used to pay 10p deposit on pop bottles. Why don't we do that again?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Same as how we used to pay 10p deposit on pop bottles. Why don't we do that again?
ah-fond memories of 'Corona' fizzy drinks and the 10p you got back on emptys,but only if they still had the screw on lid! I still remember the ads-"lets get physical" showing a bubble with eyes,nose and mouth!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I think, on the whole, tips have pretty good recycling facilities. It's the consumers who are the weak links in this. Me and OH are so much better than we used to be at the recycling thing. We've cut right down on the packaging we get (our organic box is entirely packaged in returnable or compostable materials, which helps a lot), we always carry our own carrier bags, we compost everything compostable (including old clothes*), and we recycle everything our council will handle. What's left are flimsy plastics and those awful foil/card/plastic combination packets.

I'm dying to tear off all the packaging at the supermarket checkout, but I'm such a big coward!

*And yes, I do mend my clothes until they are beyond salvation, then cut most of them up for my scrap basket
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
ah-fond memories of 'Corona' fizzy drinks and the 10p you got back on emptys,but only if they still had the screw on lid! I still remember the ads-"lets get physical" showing a bubble with eyes,nose and mouth!
Lol, you mean 'Every bubbles passed it's fizzical!'

Duboing has reminded me of one good thing I do, I have four proper shopping bags in the car, so no carrier bags for me!

(When I remember to take them in with me)
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=beckyc;1146815]I also don't know what I can recycle and what I can't, as our paper/card recycling says 'no food packaging' well most of mine is like cereal boxes so why can't we recycle those?QUOTE]

That's exactly what I think. I put all my newspapers, jars, tins and junk mail in the recycling bin but all the other stuff outweighs it about 6:1
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
our roadside collection is simple, black bags for non recyclable waste and orange bags for all recyclable items except glass which has to be taken to the supermarket site and textiles which are a seperate point. We don't have to seperate the paper and cans or plastics it all goes in the same bag. We usually only have about half a black bag full. We can also pay £30 a year to have a wheelie bin for garden waste collection. Wood etc. goes to the tip to be recycled but chipboard or laminated wood ends up in general rubbish at the tip. The tip has so many seperate designated areas you have to be very careful how you load the car so that you can dump everything in the right order.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
Its a group you belong to. Here is the website, you will find the details about it. http://www.freecycle.org/

You join up (free) and then you receive emails in your area telling you what people are getting rid of and you can email them telling them you are interested and if they choose you, you can go pick it up.

Its a brilliant site for getting "free" stuff. I have a fantastic dog crate that somebody didn't want, it was like new and when i went to the mans house he gave me lots of treats and toys as he dog had saddley passed away.

I have also given away microwaves, gazeboo's etc. Things that have been lieing around and i wanted a clear out.

The whole idea of this website is to stop putting items that can be made good use of in land fill sites.
Thanks for that, I signed up yesterday and already have found two things that would be useful to my family....great site...thank you thank you
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3