Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crumptonste88
New Member!
Male 

22-03-2008, 07:50 PM

wots the best food for my pup

ive just bought a six week old staff ,i know she shouldnt really be leavin her mum yet but she was just wot we were lookin for and if i hadnt bought her then someone else would of. Any how im lookin for some advice on the best food to give her and how many times a day to feed her,she was fed on bakers puppy by previos owners but it was left down all day to get whenever she pleased, should i continue this or feed her little and often and add some scrambled egg or weetabix to the menu. I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE ON THIS ASAP AS I WANT TO GIVE HER THE BEST START I CAN, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2008, 08:18 PM
We have 6 week old puppies at the moment, but they will not be going to their new mums until they are 9 weeks old.

As your puppy was fed on Bakers, stick with that as she doesnt need too many changes during such a traumatic period. Ours are fed 4 times a day. Breakfast is all-in-one soaked in warm water until it is soft then mixed with tinned rice pudding then goats milk for afters.

Lunch and teatime they have soaked all-in-one with raw meat (mince, tripe or lamb) added in. They also like scrambled eggs, but not too much of this as they can become constipated, again followed by goats milk.

Supper is rice pudding and soaked all-in-one. Their mum still spends a lot of time with them - feeding them and teaching them how to play etc.

Your puppy will not have learned how to play with other dogs as she has left home far too soon, so please make sure you take her to classes to try and learn how to behave with other dogs which is so important in all breeds not just SBT's.

We hope you have a happy and healthy puppy and you enjoy her to the full.

Thalice-Malice
Great Grandmother &
English Setter
crumptonste88
New Member!
Male 

23-03-2008, 10:10 AM
thanks very much for your response it is greatly appreciated i had no idea about the goats milk and didnt think to mix soaked dried food with rice pudding so your info was fantastic and she is eating great this morning following your advice again thanks ,steve
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:01 PM
i would gradually wean her off bakers to a better quality food, bakers is full of sugar and contains hardly any meat
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Glad she's coming on - what have you called her ?
I agree she should be on a better quality food, but get her settled in first. Also, dont forget that puppies need to be wormed at 2,4,6,8,10 and 12 weeks, then every three months. She may not have been wormed yet in the circumstances and worms will prevent her from getting all the nutrition she needs.

Thalice-Malice
crumptonste88
New Member!
Male 

24-03-2008, 03:17 PM
weve called her xena and shes really come out of herself now, she chases the kitten all over the house now and is a typiical yappy little staffy. I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING HER ON EUKENUBA PUPPY FOO has any one used this food before and is it any good. A freind said it was supposed to be the best but i would rather take advice off someone who actually used or uses it.
crumptonste88
New Member!
Male 

24-03-2008, 03:21 PM
i forgot to mention that she is due for worming on wednesday , i rang up the previous owners and they told me they had wormed her and shes due again on wed but once again thanks for the advice.
travelcat
New Member!
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Yep, I would say Eukanuba would be one of the best choices for her.

If you are going to feed her a complete puppy food though, I would not recommend mixing it with other foods as you will not benefit from the complete balance given by Eukanuba.

The above mentioned home-made diet sounds good as it's all home-made but for ease of feeding and total balance guaranteed, I would follow the lifestage foods from Eukanuba through his first few years (puppy/junior/adult) at the ages they recommend - after all they havespent years formulating it and selling it successfully - so you can't go wrong really.

Cat
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Everyone who has ever owned a puppy will have an opinion as we all feed our dogs differently some feed raw some wet some dry, I feed all mine on Pro Plan large breed puppy have done for years.
So my advice to you is find one that your puppy is happy on and stick with it then move it on to the adult version when he/she is a year old.

Mo and the Gang xx
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2008, 10:05 PM
We also use Purina Proplan for adults and fully weaned puppies, but this little one should still be with her mum so she should still be having goats milk and milky puddings to supplement her diet. You will find she stops liking the rice pudding in the next 2 weeks and prefers the tastier options. We do continue with the goats milk for quite some time - it seems to help build good bones and teeth and glossy coats.

Any quality food that she enjoys and has no ill effects should suit her - we have just found something that works for us.

However, poor Thalice is on a diet !!

THalice's Mum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >