Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Inexperienced forum administrator / owners

Have you ever noticed that some people seem to think that just because they can download a bit of forum chat software they can run a forum

Let me say immediately that Dogsey (and it's sister forums) do NOT fall into this category and UK Workshop is pretty good too BUT there are some people who just don't have the qualifications or experience to run a forum and here are some I've had the misfortune to try:-

Name - Something to do with whelping box - suggested to me by some lunatic in Tasmania, turns out the women couldn't read a 'Stats Report' properly and was accusing me of taking over some other identity, caused me loads of worry 'till she made the mistake of posting part of a 'Users on line' report and it was clear (even to me) that if you looked at the log in times I wasn't doing anything she accused me of.

Name - motorhome something - layout not bad (a bit like Dogsey) but full screen pop ups come on when typing a reply to a post, this is incredibly annoying since you loose all you've just typed, admin guy says it's 'nowt to do with him but it ONLY happens on his site - never ever had it on Dogsey (or UK Workshop) so in my book it's his problem not mine.

Name - Out and about live - this is run by a publishing company, no technical probs (They can at least read a 'Stats Report' one assumes) but what a layout horrible and hard to navigate around. They should know better.

And while I'm having a rant - what about all those company web sites that want to sell you something and have purple text on a black background - My God how the hell do they expect to sell something if you can't even read the description of the product

So fellow Dogsey members, don't be tempted to look at other sites, stick with the ones that WORK (Like Dogsey)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2009, 05:53 PM
are their actually qualifications for running a forum??
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Lol Losos - I know how you feel, and it's one of the reasons I love setting up community sites with a great feel-good vibe. I like seeing people enjoy themselves whilst learning about stuff and helping each other (and very often the 'topic') at the same time

It's all about respecting your members and trying to give them what they want, whilst staying true to the topic of the site too... for me at least
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 06:47 PM
oh Harvey that made me giggle, but your right,

I have dipped my toe in some other sites, much the same as yourself only to be very peefed off by them,

some people think if they run a forum they can behave like nazi's

its a responsiblilty I wouldnt like to take on.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I hope I'm not like a little Hitler!
(I'm sure you lot would tell me if I was!)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I am more like to stick around an inept administration than one that plays favorites.

It is funny how many variations of vBulitin there are.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:48 PM
PMSL at that Losos. I too like Shona dipped a toe, but found them to be slightly amateurly run. Funny how you miss dogsey too.

as you say stick with what is comfortable....like DOGSEY
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Lol Losos - I know how you feel, and it's one of the reasons I love setting up community sites with a great feel-good vibe.
It's just that like many things in life it's not as simple as some people think, you need to have some background and experience, not to mention some formal qualifications.

You can't just say, as some people do "Oh I could do that"

It's really taking the micheal if you adopt that approach and some of the sites I've been on in the last year just prove that to me.

Keep up the good work Azz, you do seem to know what you're doing
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Losos, but I have to say a lot of the good vibe on Dogsey is down to our great Mods

Moderators can completely spoil a site if you choose the wrong people - so I'm very thankful for our team, they care deeply about Dogsey and that means a lot to me - and I know I can trust them

Then you can't ignore the loyal members who log-in day in day out - they too are largely responsible for the vibe of a site.

Three cheers for our Mods and Loyal Members and everyone else who helps out around Dogsey
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
oh Harvey that made me giggle, but your right,

I have dipped my toe in some other sites, much the same as yourself only to be very peefed off by them,

some people think if they run a forum they can behave like nazi's

its a responsiblilty I wouldnt like to take on.
Had experience of that one too, even so far as the "admin" on said forum, editing peoples posts to include swearing and nasty language

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Name - Something to do with whelping box - suggested to me by some lunatic in Tasmania, turns out the women couldn't read a 'Stats Report' properly and was accusing me of taking over some other identity, caused me loads of worry 'till she made the mistake of posting part of a 'Users on line' report and it was clear (even to me) that if you looked at the log in times I wasn't doing anything she accused me of.
LOL!!! you saw the light on that one then.

We can laugh at some of these sites but some like the above are down right dangerous, in the misguidence they dish out!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >