Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Best Pet Insurance

Just read Blackies Mums post and as Im moving to UK next week I want to get a good health insurance for Krissie, Ive looked into some of them but sometimes what you read on line isnt as good in reality, I think I might have ruled out M&S.
Theres one that I keep seeing ads for on TV, PetPlan I think, anyone used this one?

Any that I should definately avoid or look more closely at?

Thanks.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Can't understand why you have ruled out M & S, there have been several discussions on this and I think M&S have come out top most times. I myself have insured my girls with them after reading the discussions, I got a discount for 2, and the cover is as extensive as the others, but less expensive.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Why did you rule out M&S? I just changed over to them
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I havent looked into them yet , I just read the other thread where someone seemed to be having problems getting the payment from them.

I was just wondering what options where out there. Do all vets take any insurance or is this something I should also check into, like check with the vet Ill be using to see if they accept certain policies. This was a problem in California, not all the vets would accept insurance, some would accept some policies but not other policies, some would work directly through the insurance but others the client had to make all the payments to the vet and then claim the money back from the policy.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Pet plan are very comprehensive, but very expensive. M&S, I think, offer good value for money. They offer similar, or slightly superior, cover to the majority of policies, but for less money. I think it depends on what you are likely to claim for. My pups breed is notoriously healthy, and I feel I am relatively unlikely to have ongoing conditions to fork out for. My mum, on the other hand, keeps westies, which ofetn suffer from ongoing skin complaints, so might opt for a more expensive insurer which covers treatment for a single condition year on year.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Flipper
I havent looked into them yet , I just read the other thread where someone seemed to be having problems getting the payment from them.

We have M&S insurance for Ozzy and they have been fab, very reasonable at just under £11 a month, brilliant cover and they paid within a few days of my claim for £580.00 ligament op he had to have - no questions asked, no fuss. I'd recommend them to anyone! Best of all they didn't put the premiums up after the claim.

In fact I've been so impressed I have just done my travel insurance with them too and they were much cheaper for that also! They even include free insurance cover for kennel fees in the event of your flight being delayed, they will pay the extra stay in kennels, how good is that!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I have just cancelled my insurance with petplan after being with them for years, and changed over to M&S, the reason, excess, with Petplan my excess on each dog each illness within 12 months was £80, having had 4 dogs that contracted something akin to kennel cough some months back and all four needing treatment, which for each dog came just under the excess amount, so I had to pay out approx £240, which I was not able to claim a penny back. I changed to M&S and took the option NO EXCESS and it is more than half I was paying with Petplan, with the same cover as far as I could see.

Mo
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I had a claim with M&S last year for about £4500, and they paid every penny!

Had another few expensive claims this year, altogether about £1500, and they paid that without question too.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

17-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
Can't understand why you have ruled out M & S, there have been several discussions on this and I think M&S have come out top most times. I myself have insured my girls with them after reading the discussions, I got a discount for 2, and the cover is as extensive as the others, but less expensive.
Hi I have to agree with the above I too have changed to M & S after reading about it not just on this forum but on several others, it seems to be the only one where you have the option of paying no excess on top of the fact that as tawney wolf saysit is just as extensive and less expensive than the others.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I took out two policies with M&S after reading so much good stuff on here. I took the policy out about a week before i went on holiday. They each had a seperate policy and i was assured both were set up and sorted and direct debits set up as well, basically unless i needed to claim there was nothing else i needed to do. And that the paperwork would be waiting for me by the time i got back.

When i came back, i came home to find that Murphy had no policy at all and wasn't covered on Viennas policy either. Also that Vienna was set up as being 'male', had a totally different vets (one i've never heard of!) and that the direct debit was NOT set up at all and i had a whole load of payment demand letters!!! So basically my dogs were TOTALLY UNINSURED while in kennels and i was on holiday i couldnt believe it and i was absolutely furious about it.

I cancelled both policies immediately and am thinking of trying Direct Line as they were very good for my OH car insurance. If anyone has anything to say about them i would be more than happy to hear their views.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >