View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachy1985
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Struggling with my lurcher cross. (Please help!)

Ok I'll try make this as brief as I can, but really after some advice.

I have a 2 year old daughter and a 5 year old husky. Previously owned a husky 2 years ago but unfortunately he had to be put down. Due to my daughter coming along decided against getting another dog, and my husky is perfectly happy without a playmate.

October last year my husky found a lurcher dumped in a field. He had practically burrowed himself into leaves and nettles. It was cold , raining and he had the look of death on his face. Honestly it was heartbreaking. Anyway I ended up bringing him home and taking him to PDSA.
He was only 6 months old. Lovely dog, no microchip and very poorly.
After a weekend of discussing I decided I would like to rehome him, he deserved the best chance after the probably awful start to his life.
So I collected him a few days later when he was better.
He had clearly never been in a home before, not house trained, seen a vacuum etc.
He was very sad at first, hated been away from me but both dogs slept downstairs, and both had run of downstairs whilst I was out during day.
He had a few accidents and because I have wooden floor it was causing the floorboards to buckle.
So whilst I was out they stayed in the utility room as it was tiled. First this was fine, until my lurcher started working out how to open the door.
I put a lock on the door but obviously due to him been able to open it before he was trying again and again, scratching the door whilst doing it.

Also whilst I was upstairs on a morning (after his long walk I might add) he would go into dining room and start chewing the dining room chair legs which I'm gutted about as they weren't cheap. We are house proud too and try our best to keep our home as nice as possible.

So I decided to crate train him. Again at first this was fine, until he started getting out of here too! Bending the metal back, collapsing one side. You name it, he did it.

Fast forwarding to now and where I'm at is every bed that's in his crate he destroys it. I give him toys, kongs, chews. I've put old towels in there and he destroys them.
The other day he escaped and got into dining room and destroyed the leather dining tables. I was only out 2 hours!

I have put old carpet in there now. Been out for just over one hour this morning and he's destroying that. Not that I'm bothered but why is he doing it?

I really don't want to get rid of him and trying my best but I'm struggling now and feel I'm reaching the end of my tether.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but have to be honest.

Any advice I would really appreciate.

I should add that on a night he happily goes in his crate and does nothing. And I should also add that he's a bit of a bully with my older dog. My husky never tells him off so he gets away with biting him, jumping on him, everything.

I need to mention he's a very good dog with my daughter. And he does just want to please. When I've shouted at him for whatever he has done (I know this doesn't help when it's after the event) he looks really sad.

Please please please help x
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Thats a lovely long post with all the details .
Well done for saving this dog. I understand how difficult it is for you.

This type of query need thinking about so there might be a delay in answering .

I just wanted to hello and say hang in there.
rachy1985
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Thank you. I felt it's important to give all the details both good and bad. X
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Agree,very detailed post
Was just wondering if you have outside space?
rachy1985
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:33 AM
I have a decent sized garden which is very doggy and child friendly as its AstroTurfed x
rachy1985
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I forgot to say my dogs get 2 walks a day. I have never let my husky off a lead and I don't let the lurcher off.
Should I let him off? X
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 12:59 PM
in a word NO not to begin with at least my friend has a whipp x with a sprinkle of staff and she is like eagle eyed action man! she has been taught recall from day one but will still spot someone miles away and beggar off to say hello. im no expert (someone will be along shortly am sure on the recall/off lead front) but it will prob with start mastering recall on a long line first of all i do love a lurcher such beautiful atheltic dogs
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2015, 01:27 PM
At the risk of sounding like a total fruitcake,here's what I think
Clear case of separation anxiety imo,that's why he's fine all night,because you're home.
I had a severely mistreated dog stay with me for a bit,different issues from your boy but I had to read up on stuff to try and better understand him and help him.That brought me to learning about the "flight or fight" response.Was a godsend at the time.
In situations of fear,stress or panic,humans and dogs( maybe all animals ) will chose flight or fight.Its like a switch in the brain,a copeing mechanism,life saving decision in some cases.
I think your boy is getting so wound up,stressed and panicked at you not being there that he has no other option( mentally) but to fight,with your furniture in this case Open window or door,he may chose differently but being inside with no way to escape his state of mind at that time,results in chaos as you have seen
I have no experience of separation anxiety or any advice on how to deal with it.I know there are other members who do and will be able to offer you great advice.Just wanted to share what I learned when I had too because it helped me a lot.
Reason I asked about the outside space is...it could give him another option other than destruction.Was thinking a really big dog flap if your garden is secure of course or an outside run with shelter where he can be safe when you're not at home.
Like I said I'm no expert,could be way off course here but there it is
rachy1985
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Thank you for your reply.

My mum did suggest about leaving him outside in a kennel. My main issues with this are I don't really want to spend anymore money on him.
Over the past few months we've spent a fortune replacing dining room chairs, shoes, crates, toys etc. literally everything.
To buy an outside pen will be pretty expensive. It's a great idea though thank you for suggestion x
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking along the same lines as Lacey10 that this could be a seperation issue, sometimes a dog can be distressed at being seperated from his owner and also frustrated at being shut away so to speak..

When you go upstairs , does he have the choice to come with you?

Some dogs are better with dog gate rather than closed doors. I have dog gates but my dogs are small , you could try one to see if he would stay behind it . You can give him stuff kongs and things like knuckle bones to keep him occupied amd leave him for a very short time and build up to longer times but that could cause problems with your other dog if they are in the same room together and fight .

Theres a good book about seperation disorders by karen wilde - titles Dont leave me . You can download it on line .

Theres also advice here in PDF , I just removed this . I was given this link a few years ago when my own dog had SA and on re reading it , I'm not happy with all advice in it .
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »