Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Nana's dog is driving me mad!

some of you may know nana's dog, he's the papillon i post pictures of sometimes.

now with my nana out at work all day, i look after her dog.. i could just not bother but im not like that.

now i dont know if its his breeding, or just him but he drives me insane!!!

hes scared of the hoover
hes scared of the washing machine
hes scared of the kitchen floor, and wont walk properly on it.

he pants and whinges constantly if you shut him in the kitchen.

he doesnt go up the stairs properly, he has to gear himself up and take a run up.. he also does this when trying to get on the sofa and on your bed...

he barks at the slightest sound and also things on the tv.

when walking him if another dog lead gets too close to touching him he dives back.

he yelps as if you have hurt him if you move your foot to fast (even to the point where nana accused me of hurting him, when in fact i didnt touch him, just uncrossed my legs while he was lay on the floor)

he yelps if you brush him "too rough" i say it like that because it is in no way too rough, i mean too rough for him?

he cowers when you ask him to come to you, and lays down and wont move... he also does this when you go to put on his collar and lead.

it drives me mad, because i dont know how to stop any of these things! or why he does them! hes not my dog so i have to be careful what i suggest to my nana, shes very touchy...

any ideas?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I don't see many problems personally -- it sounds as though that is just his personality. He sounds like your typical wimpy dog and there isn't much you can do to change that. However, you could probably desensitize him to some of the objects or sounds he is afraid of if you wanted to.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Same as Labradork; but then with Benjie I have the same issues, I can't understand why he spins around before he poos, grumbles at everything and also grumbles when he's getting comfy - but it's just him.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:09 PM
he stresses himself out over it though and thats what i dont like. the minute hes put in the kitchen he starts panting and shaking and whining. i cant work out why. nothing bad has ever happened to him in there and there are times when he must be shut in the kitchen. i hate shutting him in there knowing im going out for an hour and thats all he will do for that hour.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Millie is like that on the lead with other dogs o.0

She also shys away from people if she is not feeling confident.

How old is he??
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Millie is like that on the lead with other dogs o.0

She also shys away from people if she is not feeling confident.

How old is he??
he's nearly 5... he hasnt always done it... maybe over the last year.. but hes recently got alot worse...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
he stresses himself out over it though and thats what i dont like. the minute hes put in the kitchen he starts panting and shaking and whining. i cant work out why. nothing bad has ever happened to him in there and there are times when he must be shut in the kitchen. i hate shutting him in there knowing im going out for an hour and thats all he will do for that hour.
Does he react like that if he is shut in any other room? if he is fine in other rooms, simply don't shut him in the kitchen. If he does it all the time when he is alone regardless of where he is, he probably has separation issues. There are plenty of things can be done to help dogs with separation problems.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Diesel does most of what you describe above, he's just a nervous dog, don't know why though.....We've never raised a hand to him.

If I get his harness out, he gets mega excited then he'll cower down and freeze, I have to get down to his level and put it on for him....Once it's on, he loves it........
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Bless him. He sounds very timid and sensitive. It does sound like he may have some separation anxiety issues too.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Does he react like that if he is shut in any other room? if he is fine in other rooms, simply don't shut him in the kitchen. If he does it all the time when he is alone regardless of where he is, he probably has separation issues. There are plenty of things can be done to help dogs with separation problems.
just the kitchen... sometimes my room.

the thing is its not my house and nana wont shut the dogs in another room when we are out. they go in the kitchen and thats that. also they have to go straight in the kitchen when we come in from walks and they are wet or dirty, as thats the only room without carpets, and nana insists of them being shut in there. if we have visitors they have to go in the kitchen.
she doesnt like them going upstairs, but lets me because they are only ever in my room, but he cant be left there because he pees on everything if im not in there too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >