Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2005, 10:01 PM
glad to hear Georgie is ok
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
As you well know,GSD's are very hairy dogs and always look bigger than they actually are.The one i used to look after for a friend looked a huge boy (long haired type),but when i bathed him-he immediately lost atleast half of his width!

To tell the truth,I've never ever seen an overweight GSD because they seem to self regulate their size due to being energetic dogs.I know your vet said he is 7kgs heavier than the previous owners had him,but could this be due to better diet and regular excercise-muscle weighs 2.5 times as much as fat.

At the end of the day,you his owner know him better than anyone else-so do you think he is overweight???
Errrrm, yes, slightly! I will get him back to he 40kgs, but as you say, muscle weighs more than fat Steve
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Stephanie
Georgie porgie pudding and pie.......don't you listen to the nasty vet man saying your a tubbs, you are boooteeeful handsome dude :smt007 :smt049

Big kisses & hugs from Aunty Steph xx
Lol Stephanie! Poor Georgie, if only he knew he was being called a porkie boy Thanks for the hugs and kisses he says anyway
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Better overweight than under!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes exactly! Muscle is heavier than fat! And he might just be big boned...
Poor sod, I know it's different for dogs but I'm so heavy but not fat, my mum's the same. She had to lose weight to join the army but she was a bean pole!

Weight averages for breeds are just that... an average!
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Well done you for doing such a grand job! He'll soon loose the excess weight.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Awww bless his little cotton socks. Atleast he has someone who takes good care of him and who cares if you 'mother him', he deserves it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
Yes exactly! Muscle is heavier than fat! And he might just be big boned...
Poor sod, I know it's different for dogs but I'm so heavy but not fat, my mum's the same. She had to lose weight to join the army but she was a bean pole!

Weight averages for breeds are just that... an average!
The funny thing was, when Cassie looked quite thin (due to overactivity when Georgie first arrived here!) she actually weighed 39kgs against his 40Kgs, and yet he looked massive compared to her, and after all, he is a dog not a bitch and they are bigger. I can assume from that then, that as he now has more muscle he is going to weigh more isn't he. Thanks Lottie for your input here
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Well done you for doing such a grand job! He'll soon loose the excess weight.
Thanks Dibley! I'm guilty of over mothering my o/h too as he's put on a lot of weight since being with me, so maybe I'll have to get him to run alongside the bike with me over the week-end (in my dreams!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Awww bless his little cotton socks. Atleast he has someone who takes good care of him and who cares if you 'mother him', he deserves it
Yes, I always say, what's the point in having animals if you're not going to care for them properly and spoil them too! As long as they behave themselves and look good what's the problem, and I don't overfeed him they get 1/3rd of a cup of Burns 4 times a day (now 3 which seems very mean to me), no tit-bits apart from a couple of carrots a day and 2 bonios, and plenty of exercise, I just can't understandit. He is a lazy bu**ar though, not half as athletic as Cassie and yet he's only 5! He acts like he's 10! I'm now wondering whether my o/h sneaks them some of his biscuits when I'm out of the room??
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >