Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Do you mean that you create a barrier (with the moment of tension) then release the dog so nothing is holding it back?

Thereby creating an invisible barrier to the dog?
Dog cannot move forward, but is not being held back = confused dog who turns to its owner?
Dogs who have been used to a constant tension often get confused by the loose lead, as long as your timing can catch that confusion when they turn back it can work very well

I always say to people the hardest part about loose lead walking is the loose bit. So many people get into the habit of holding the dog in position, so the dog just learns to take up any slack when the owner loosens the lead.

People generally find it SO hard to 'go with the dog' to keep the lead loose, I remove leads from people often in puppy class to show people that they can control their pup without holding them in place. (I give them the lead back when they feel more confident).
I have no problem with loose lead walking, most of the time

I really would love to see something of this method because I am really having trouble getting my head around it. Its not often I get totaly caught out and Mia has a reaction and they are nowhere near as big - but I know one time Im gonna meet the giant GSD in a dark ally or something (of course with the dobie comming down the other way so I cant escape) and I am always trying to think of ways to deal with that situation
at the moment strangly enough the best thing I have found is just to pick her up - no reaction when I carry her
But of course this isnt the ideal - and someone with a bigger dog couldnt do that
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I have no problem with loose lead walking, most of the time

I really would love to see something of this method because I am really having trouble getting my head around it. Its not often I get totaly caught out and Mia has a reaction and they are nowhere near as big - but I know one time Im gonna meet the giant GSD in a dark ally or something (of course with the dobie comming down the other way so I cant escape) and I am always trying to think of ways to deal with that situation
at the moment strangly enough the best thing I have found is just to pick her up - no reaction when I carry her
But of course this isnt the ideal - and someone with a bigger dog couldnt do that
I got very good with Tassle at Swinging round in front of her....of course you then have your back to the other dog....which is not always great!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I got very good with Tassle at Swinging round in front of her....of course you then have your back to the other dog....which is not always great!
Yup I can do that now if she isnt totaly reacting
But at the begining it was not possible to get infront of her becuase any slack on the lead and she was just bolting forwards
Now she is calm enough if I stand infront of her she breaks eye contact and looks at me

But I know if she does a major reaction (which (touch wood) we havent had for a long while) its not possible to get infront of her or anything

Mainly just trying to get ideas of what I should have done, I guess reading what other people do and stuff she was reacting alot more strongly than I thought
I am always thankful she is a small dog, must be so much more difficult to manage a larger dog (although she is soooo fast and agile that has its own problems)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Yes void. Tbh i didnt read the first post properally, my bad-but im sure you know why
id want the eye contact in that case, first.
Id teach her a every good watch me & get her into toys.
I may get her to hold a toy to stop her barking.

But mainley id be looking to changing the owner/dog relationship, not putting a sticking plaster over the problem.

Or i might do something completley different

TBH without working with the dog its hard to say.

The problem then with this dog is that the owners need to build up their relationship with the dog. hat is what id now be working on.

Why are you asking all this anyway? what would YOU do?
Just getting back to my thread late, been busy, had a baby etc...

Hello Mish, just getting round to your post now.

I love your throwing the lead idea for reactive dogs.
Reminds me of an old colleague in rescue...his job was to do the first walk for the people aggressive big boys..rotties, sheps, etc.
He would stroll off with them on a long line...if the dog launched at him, he would side step quickly so the dog would end up throwing itself to the end of the line and hitting the ground.
Then he would throw sausages on the ground at the dog.
All this would be done on the move, briskly walking onward and he would carry on throwing sausages ahead on the path.

It was quite good and by the time he got back they were best buddies.
The next day others were good for the dog to.

No worries misreading the post, yours was a good post to read anyway.

Re: "im sure you know why"...hadn't a clue, as it goes.
What was it, out of interest?

The owners have built quite a strong relationship with the dog.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:54 PM
You have to sort of "throw it"
There would be a moment of tension as you stepped
back.

Its too hard to explain, you have to see!!!!

Every single dog i do it with, the owners are amazed tthat they dont just pull forward,

i wounldnt worry, if what you are doing works for you.
anyway you can get a vid of that? sounds really interesting, but i cant visualize it lol
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Never mind the dog---some of us would like to know about the baby---PLEASE! You don't have to give gory details---name and rank will do.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
anyway you can get a vid of that? sounds really interesting, but i cant visualize it lol
i will try, may be a while though.if i do i will stick it on its own thread.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 07:53 AM
i will try, may be a while though.if i do i will stick it on its own thread.
id love to see a vid as well
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Just getting back to my thread late, been busy, had a baby etc...
congratulations.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Enquiring minds need to know!

rune
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >