Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Best time to change to senior food?

My lurcher Danny is 6.5 years old. he's fit, healthy and no signs of ageing at all. I was wondering, as he's considered a large dog and they age quicker, when's the best time to change to senior food? Or should I bother at all and just give him joint care supplements along with his normal adult food?
There are so many on the market and so many differing opinions I'm confused.
I have my collie who's 11 on Chappie as she has pancreatitis but also give her glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. My collie cross is on Iams Senior along with the same supplements.
Any advice really welcome!!!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I posted a similar query on here a while ago, my dogs are 8 and 9 and very fit and well apart from poor Cherry has cataracts. I decided not to change their food as people said there was little point if they were doing well on what they were eating.

I do give them glucosamine and chroidoytin (I know that's spelt wrong!) supplements though to help their joints.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Two of my dogs are almost 14 and almost 15 . I have never changed them to senior food as they are happy and healthy on the food they have . At this stage I wouldn't like to do anything which might upset them .
sarebear1982
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking about this recently as Bella is nearly 7. However we had just got her settled and putting weight on I don't want to upset her. I think we'll stick with what she's on and have a look at joint supplements for her.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Not sure what is the best age maybe speak to your vet? Senior food puts less strain on the kidneys that's about all I know
ATD x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
My WSD was about 11 when I put her onto a senior food. The kibble is quite small so I tend to add a bit of warm water to it so it's easier for her to eat.

The following is the 'blurb' for her food (Arden Grange):

'Balanced complete nutrition – correct levels of protein, fat, minerals and vitamins to support the dietary needs of the older dog
Lower in calories – ideal for older dogs and those requiring a less energy dense food
Added L-Carnitine – may help to maintain lean body mass by increasing the conversion of fat to energy
Boosted levels of glucosamine and chondroitin – to help to protect the joints during the ageing process
Boosted levels of MSM – a natural pain killer that may also improve mental alertness and relieve stress
Also may be fed to adult dogs with a tendency to weight gain.'

That says it much better than I could! She's now 13 and still doing veteran agility classes and clearing the garden of birds!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
We didnt put our Bessie onto seniour food til she was about 12 and couldnt really see any difference
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I don`t see the point of changing unless the dog isn`t doing well on his current food. I`ve never used Senior - it was invented fairly recently. I don`t need senior food so I don`t see why the dog does.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all your answers. I think I'll keep him on normal adult food as he's fine so far. If I see any difference in him I'll think about changing him.
Cheers folks!!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't bother changing it yet. I have a medium dog and she is just about to be changed to senior and she's almost 10. Just wait for your dog to start showing signs of ageing.
My dog has started stretching nearly everytime she stands up, she is clicking loads and she's getting a bit chubby. Don't bother looking for grey hairs as my dog has had them since she was 7
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >