Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bunny-Hare
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Collie's crusty elbows & more!

My 9yr old collie has crusty elbows and one of them now has an open wound that is very slow to heal. I bathe it twice daily with saline solution and it starts making progress then cracks open again. I put a healing balm on the new skin to try and keep it supple but it's always back to sqare one. She has a LOT of problems- Excema on her back- she's blind with cateracts-Suffers from epilepsy-and in permanently on a prescription for tablets to keep her temperature down as her blood cells fight amongst them-selves. Her litter mate brother on the other hand is a picture of rude health (touch wood!) will continue that way.
If anyone can help with any advice or tips relating to any of the above I WOULD BE VERY PLEASED TO HEAR FROM YOU. Thank-you.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2006, 08:15 AM
If she has pressure sores (calluses) make sure that she sleeps, rests, lays on a soft bed or soft surface to relieve any pressure on her elbows. If the calluses are cracking and breaking down infection can set in. I assume you are in consultation with your vet for the other problems so mention the elbows - he/she may recommend an antibiotic or other treatment.

Sounds as though your poor girl has more than her share of troubles What are you using to relieve the eczema?
Bunny-Hare
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Have tried various lotions and potions some worked some didn't but of the ones that worked, they only did so short term. Botanical/homeopathic seem to work the best.
Currently she is on a vitimin supplement to help from within and pure aloe vera gel topically to soothe the skin.It's upsetting to see her like this- but nothing fazes her she's a happy little soul and believe it or non enjoys a game of frizbee with her brother who wears "bells" during the day so she knows where he is. I am lucky, in that I have a very large garden and they have the run of it all day long. She sleeps/rests on rugs or carpet also enjoys stretching out on the laminate flooring,keeps her cool I think. Tried to get her to sleep on bean bag or quilt but no joy she seems to like a firmer surface. (Thans for your reply)