Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Breeding Health Benifits?

I recently read somewhere on a dog site that a bitch having at least one litter in her lifetime can actually be benificial to her health.

I am looking for other websites that make such a claim too.

I was wondering what breeders and other dog owners think about such claims and if you think there is any truth in this?

I am finding it hard to see how as breeding a bitch can be dangerous if any complications arise.

I think I would like to have a litter from Jess one day and if there ca be health benifits to this also I think it would be brillient!

Kye xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 04:29 PM
It's a myth. As you said breeding can be dangerous but can you imagine the task of finding homes for that many puppies if every bitch had one litter?
Becky
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Tis a myth.
Pet dogs are best off not being bred from - only the best should be bred from.

Dogs that win well at shows showing that they conform to breed standard

Dogs that work well in the work they are designed to do

Fantastic obedience/ agility / sports dogs

and of course all potential breeding animals should have BOMBPROOF temperaments and spot on health test results.

Breeders should also be in a position to offer advice to puppy owners and able to take back pups at any point in their lives if things don't work out.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I have never really looked into it but I would imagine there could be some modest health benefits in having offspring as this is the case with humans and whelping itself will not present much difficulty to the vast majority of bitches in all but the most exagerated breeds. However when you consider the welfare of ill planned, badly placed offspring many of which will have very short lives for a variety of reasons it's certainly not healthy for them. I can't imagine the balance could ever lean towards doing it for reasons of the mothers health alone.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post

I think I would like to have a litter from Jess one day and if there ca be health benifits to this also I think it would be brillient!

Kye xxx
Please don't there is already too many unwanted dogs in this world and not enough homes
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 06:13 PM
The strain that having a litter puts on a bitch is akin to that of a woman being pregnant There are no health benefits for humans or all the mammals that bear live young, they have huge demands on the body during pregnancy the slightest physical problem can result is illness &/or death. This is why all animals used in breeding must be in the peak of health & physical condition. In the case of dogs they should be free from any health defects & also only be bred to improve the breed not just because it is what the owner wants.

My next BC will be from a well planned litter & the breeder is only breeding because the resultant puppies will be continuing a long line of quality dogs well ablt to do do the job they are meant to do
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I appreciate why you might say this to someone contemplating an ill though out litter but I think we have to be honest and admit it is nothing like a pregnancy and birth in humans There certainly are health benefits in women, they are less likely to have cancers that are hormonally stimulated if they have had a break in monthly cycles and they are less prone to breast cancer if they have lactated. Admittedly these benefits are statistically small and can also be achieved by spaying by I don't think we should give an inaccurate picture particularly because people may discover these things and decide our whole arguement against the idea is flawed.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 06:31 PM
The healthiest thing to do would be having her spayed
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Yes, that would gain all the health benefits that breeding does
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
The healthiest thing to do would be having her spayed
I agree and avoid pyrometa and greatly decrease the chances of mammary tumours ..
(I have lost bitches with both over the years )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >