Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 11:57 PM

What keeps YOU going?

I have been showing at Champ shows for ten years with very mixed results. There are many in my position who don't even get as far as qualifying for Crufts but enter most shows regardless of their bad days and keep on year after year. I have often wondered what drives some people to keep going regardless; I know for some, it is the social side or a good day out, and the possibility that they will go up a step from their previous ambition. I have always had a gradual increase in ambition, for example when I started, I wanted a card. Didn't matter that it may be VHC or Reserve out of four entries - it was something to pin up. Then I looked for something slightly better and in the end it went something like this:-

Get a place card, any position
Get a place card and actually beat another dog
Get a card at every general and breed championship show in the UK
Ditto with the same dog
Get a Crufts qualifying place (this took my first bitch all the way to Post Graduate before she obliged )
Get a Crufts qualifying place not by default (Dunno why, still counts eh?)
Win a class
Ditto with at least one other dog in the ring
Get BPIB
Get a RCC or other means of achieving a stud book number
Get a CC
Get 3 CCs

I haven't thought any further ahead than that! so far I have managed 8 out of the 12 "ambitions" so I have a long way to go yet
If the above may be likened to a ladder, I have fallen off it a few times and now I have moved to Ireland after Green Stars and CACIBs I am back at the bottom - well, nearly

So - for those of you who are not prolific winners yet - what keeps YOu going?
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2006, 12:39 AM
I hope to one day achive however I love being in the ring. Due to work I didn't go to a show for over a month, when I went to the show I took my bitch in, had a huge ring outside in the freezing cold, was the only red and white their but it still felt good being in the ring again doing what I love
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Know idea, because I always have I suppose
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Well up to this year, cc's have not been available in the UK for my breed, so its not the chasing of them that has me going back to shows week in week out and now they are here I dont think it will make that much difference to wether I still attend shows or not, although I suppose I will try to get to the shows that do have them (just in case lol), I dont know really why, I think its the pleasure of someone else appreciating MY dogs, someone else seeing the good things I can see in them, but as I get dumped too I have got used to the fact that not everyone sees the same lol. I dont go out drinking, my social life revolves round my dogs, so going to shows is just another part of sharing my time with them, most of my friends are in the dog circles so it a chance to meet up with them too, as I do live a distance from most of them and so a show may be the only place I get to see them in person, instead of talking on the phone. if I thought my dogs wern't enjoying going, then I would probably leave them at home and go on my own to shows, but as it is, 3 out of the 4 do enjoy so the odd dog does get left at home now most of the time, I do have to say I try to get them all qualified for crufts just so that I can say they have, but if they dont then they dont simple as that.

Mo
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, i've only be showing for about 6 months, but we've also had very mixed results in that short time. It seems one day we'll win and the next we'll be kicked out without a second look I think the reason I keep doing it is because i enjoy it, the dogs enjoy it and its a good day out. Im not bothered about Crufts qualifications and stuff like that as we're not breeders so its not something we 'need' to do to make our dogs more valuable, and im quite happy to do it at a lower level as its cheaper and im a student! We seem to have 'retired' from Champ shows because our dogs didn't seem to do so well in those, and they're SO expensive! But we have fun at the open shows and stuff!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I haven't started showing yet, but when I do, here's mine...

*BIS at Crufts*

No seriously I haven't really thought about it, i'd be happy just to get placed but I guess as you go on your ambitions get higher, so ask me again this time next year
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Its those little letters in front of my dogs name We've got the BH1 title but its not enough!!!!! It just fills you with pride.

Honestly, to take the CAC and the CACIB every show and preferably the BOB to boot. And please pretty please I want to place in Group, just once!!

Dreams...........BOB at Crufts and to be shortlisted for BIG, we've got no chance for the BIS but hey!! I am going for the BOB at the World Championship 2008 in Sweden! With 2 dogs entered I have a chance

Have to say though when Tams championship gets made up I'm retiring him. Give the chance to the other dogs.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Well when I started I just wanted a dog who wouldn't be out of place in the show ring.In the 1st year of showing we didn't beat a single dog...but we kept at it because we enjoyed the day out and enjoyed the people.When Asa did his first post grad class at the age of 18 months he went from being thrown out to winning! We now get placed more often than not and still go for the day out.

well we have acheived....
class wins
BOB and BPIB at open shows
Group places at open shows
RBIS at open level
RCC'S X 2

SO NOW I SUPPOSE THE NEXT GOALS ARE ...a CC woud be rather nice!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Well done! Just goes to show that sticking at it pays off sometimes! Some dogs are much better once they have matured. Maybe this is a message to those starting out - don't give up just because you get nowhere for a while, enjoy the day, enjoy your dog, make new friends, listen to advice and keep going!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
Well done! Just goes to show that sticking at it pays off sometimes! Some dogs are much better once they have matured. Maybe this is a message to those starting out - don't give up just because you get nowhere for a while, enjoy the day, enjoy your dog, make new friends, listen to advice and keep going!
Exactly.....a place card at the end of the day is a bonus!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >