register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you expect from a Dog Show?
I go to win 6 20.69%
I go to make the numbers up 0 0%
Someone has to be chucked out 2 6.90%
I go for a chat & meet friends 9 31.03%
I go to watch dogs & learn more 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 07:27 AM

What do you expect from a Dog Show?

Was stewarding at a show yesterday and was having lunch with some judges & other stewards and one of the judges said that they did not see the point in entering a show unless you expected to win. The rest of the table where shocked at this and she was told that if the rest of us were not prepared to make up the numbers there would be no dogs for her to beat.

What do you all think? Please answer the poll honestly and let us know your thoughts in the thread.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Well I`ve put go to make numbers up as thats what I`ve done recently but there are others I`d like to have ticked as well.

Sad to say its got pretty facey over here but theres also things I don`t agree with so I`ve not showed much lately.

But I used to have a lot of fun & I went A) to show my dogs B) watch other dogs & meet & chat with friends
I always want to win, of course & think I stand a pretty good chance, which if you`ve got good dogs you do, but if I didn`t well there was always another day.
But never *expected* to win or thought no point going if I didn`t
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
i would enter for the fun of it, but i cant reall say nevr been to any..always watch cruft though!
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I go to enjoy my hobby, we don't go if we expect to loose but do go if we "have a chance" We will also go to support judges who we want to give numbers to. We won't support big all rounders we know don't have an interest in the breed but support those who do.

At the end of the day showing is our hobby. My brother doesn't pick and choose badminton matches he goes to. He goes, he plays, he win's or normally looses but it's also his hobby.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Well I ticked go to win, but its more than that really, I don't always win, sometimes my dogs get placed sometimes they dont, but I do like the feeling of them winning, so thats why I ticked that section, but I have to add, I love watching the other dogs and learning, and also its a time for me to meet up with my good friends, who I would normally only be able to talk to on the phone because of living a distance from each other. I cant see the reason why you pay an entry, take your dogs with an attitude to go to lose?,if it was JUST to go meet my friends I wouldnt bother paying an entry, I would leave my dogs at home and go to the show by myself.

Mo
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I ticked 'to watch and learn' although I also go for a chat and to meet friends.Good job I don't go to win cos if I did I'd be giving up after the year I've had.....another bad day on Saturday .Hoping our luck changes next year
Sorry you didn't make it Jackie...got your mail,sorry didn't reply.If ever you need a handler give us a shout and if me or Kim are free we'd be pleased to help!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I go to chat and meet friends (I get talked off my feet!! ), to watch the dogs and learn and yes to win. Look I only show my dogs to get the championship, then I stop, I have to get the CAC. But its not something important for life, so if I lose I smile and move on
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
If ever you need a handler give us a shout and if me or Kim are free we'd be pleased to help!
That is a very kind offer but Solomon did not get his nickname for nothing and although I would feel guilty if he played you up and made you look an idiot I would be to worried to give him to Kim, what with his judge eating tendances and the speed he moves he is a real handful, N. C. does not seem to mind the challenge but then she had a really difficult bitch so I guess she is used to exhibits with unpredictable outbursts of enthusiasm. (saw the results – interesting )
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I cant see the reason why you pay an entry, take your dogs with an attitude to go to lose?,if it was JUST to go meet my friends I wouldnt bother paying an entry, I would leave my dogs at home and go to the show by myself.

Mo
Do go on my own sometimes (always have my camera for company) but I will enter a dog I do not expect to do much because as a spectator only I feel on the outside, guess I need a dog or a camera as moral support
sportsmonki
New Member!
Female 

21-12-2005, 10:01 AM
The main reason that I would take my dogs to a show isnt listed here. I very occassionally take them to local shows, and my reason for this is to socialize them/gain experience with them. I leave a show happy if my dogs have enjoyed themselves, have behaved themselves, and if I have had fun watching other dogs and chatting to other people. Of course, if one of the dogs isn't placed last/thrown out that is an added bonus.

In obedience I go to socialize with other competitors, and my main aim is to improve on the last performance my dog and I gave/put in a credible round.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >